cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: [SPECIAL GUEST] Self injury: riding the wave of distressed emotions

I'm going to say that it is not unusual. Yes, everyone has their own experience and reasons as to why they self-harm, but if one feels this way, then chances are that there are others that harm for the exact same reason.

My entire life can be described in one sentence: It didn't go as planned and that's okay. ツ

@lanejane yep I agree. So personally i self harm to turn the mental pain into psycial pain
//You can stay afraid, or slit the throat of fear and be brave//

10 minute warning everyone ! 

i wonder if it being physical makes it easier for us to then deal with? like to fix or recover from how we are feeling?

or harder?

like if you can "see" your depression... is it then easier to manage and make it go away?

i cant explain that properly but hopefully you know what im trying to ask? or am thinking..

lanejane

@j95 Yes it was an excellent question. Unfortunately we are not as advanced with managing self-harm in contexts like your workplace. But, it is definitely getting better. I was involved in a suicide prevention program called Mates In Construction, for people working in the construction industry. It included psychoeducation on self-harm and suicide and we published some research on it which showed that attitudes towards self-harm and suicide changed after understanding it better. Might want to check it out, just for your interest

@SarahS nah my question wasn't about the workplace one it was the alternative methods one
Highlighted

@lanejane I think it makes it easier in the short term, because there's a sense of relief of getting those emotions 'out', but in the long term harder because then people ask questions if you have scars or you become relient on self injury and then feel guilty about self injuring. At least, that's how I feel. 

But yeah I will check it out for sure thanks so much @SarahS

@j95 oops! my bad

@j95 yeah i see what you mean.

hmmmm

lanejane