cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

[SPECIAL GUEST] Wear It Purple

Wear it Purple calls on all of us to show we respect each other just as we are, and to stand up against bullying based on sexuality and gender diversity. It's a movement started by young people for young people to raise awareness of challenges facing sexuality- and gender-diverse young people, creating environments in which they feel safe and supported.

On Thursday 28th May at 9pm AEST Naomi from Wear It Purple will be our special guest for a 90 minute discussion about creating safe and supportive environments for rainbow young people (rainbow young people means sexuality and/or gender diversity). This session is relevent for everyone because we all have a role to play in reducing discrimination and celebrating diversity!

More info coming soon but in the mean time check out this video they made for Wear It Purple day last year...

If you have a question about your sexuality; your gender; an issue in your community that you'd like to ask anonymously, submit it here and we'll do our best to answer it during the discussion!

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

Re: [SPECIAL GUEST] Wear It Purple

Hey y’all welcome to tonight’s discussion. We’re joined by the awesome @mimithegraand @LawsonWIP from Wear It Purple!!! Tonight we’re going to be have a chat about making sure our communities are safe and supportive for rainbow (aka LGBTQI+) young people....

We've had some Qs submitted anonymously during the week that we will answer in a little bit.

Don't forget to keep the ReachOut.com guidelines in mind tonight, and if you find that you're feeling upset by anything we're chatting about tonight, remember that QLife is available to chat on the phone or webchat: https://qlife.org.au/

Ok so handing over to Naomi and Lawson now - hey guys!!!

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

Hey everyone! My name's Lawson, I'm 17 and part of Wear it Purple - really excited to chat with you guys and answer questions for the next hour and a half tonight! And thanks ReachOut for having us! Smiley Happy

Hey everyone!

I'm Naomi, and I'd like to welcome you all to tonight's session! It's pretty exciting and I'm really looking forward to the great discussions we'll have. For a little info about me and Wear it Purple, I've been with the organisation for about a year, and we're a group of young people all about creating safe and supportive environments for rainbow young people.  We're going to be addressing some great questions that have been sent into Reach Out tonight, and a couple of other things.  But just before we begin, I think it's really important to acknowledge that some areas of discussion are quite sensitive, so it's important we make this a safe space for everyone.  So I'd love to get your input, and for you to tell us what is a safe space? And what can we all do to make you feel that this is a safe space for you to chat in tonight? 

hey everyone!! 

//You can stay afraid, or slit the throat of fear and be brave//

Hey j95! Hey Lawson and Naomi!

For me a space space means we respect each others opinions!

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

helloooo

Hey j95! Great to have you, welcome! To kick us off, is there anything you'd like to suggest in terms of making this a safe space tonight?

Hey @breesbees! I like your username!! Welcome - what will make this convo a safe space for you?

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

a safe space to me is where everyone is treated as an equal human. not as more special or ess special because of something that doesnt for the "normal" social standard.
to make a safe place, we should treat everyone with respect and equality.