cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: [SPECIAL GUEST] Wear It Purple

@FootyFan26 please keep contributing! It's great that you're here. Not doing any harm - remember, it's a safe space Smiley Happy All here to have a good chat. So, what do you think some of the myths might be surrounding gender and sexuality? My favourite myth, or probably assumption, is that everyone's straight, and the seemingly harmless question "do you have a boyfriend" when I'm a female, or "do you have a girlfriend" if you're male. I think it can make it difficult sometimes for people to be in that situation, where because someone's just made an assumption you find yourself having to explain or "come out" all over again

breesbees wrote:
one thing ive always found confusing is how if you say identify as homosexual but then date or love someone of the opposite gender people automatically assume you are now bisexual. to me I see it differently; your still homosexual you just happened to like someone of the opposite sex (that's why I always say it a sexual preference)

Yep agree! It's that thing of other people labelling others.

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

People have only really raised a lot of awareness to this recently so people still assume that most people are straight.

If this had been considered 'normal' and awareness had been raised early people might be a bit more open to the Rainbow Alphabet. 

It's better it's come out now than never though.

@FootyFan26 Don't be scared to give your opinion. Everyone has different views and it's always fun and helpful hearing others views on a topic Smiley Happy

When it comes to gender and sexuality, people only ever view the main ones (gay, Lesbian, bi and hetro, and male and female) and don't really look into other things in as much depth as we may do. If people were more educated, we wouldn't be dealing with so much close-mindedness.
Highlighted

thanks you for clearing up a few things on the differences between transsexual and transgender! so much sense is being made.

yea exactly @FootyFan26 please keep talking, its great to get an insight of others opinion, and maybe both parties can take something away from tonight.

please don't be afraid me and kya promise we wont bite, and im sure the rest wont either Smiley Happy

@breesbees - couldn't agree more! Sexuality is a label people use to define themselves, not a rule book on the relationships they 'should' be having. Romantic and sexual activity is not the same thing as sexual/romantic identity, and sexuality as a concept is so complex and fluid anyway that for many people, one label just doesn't cut it!

Aw, footyfan - we really appreciated your contributions tonight and hope that you stay with us. But if you are going, remember if you need to talk to someone then kids helpline is counselling for everyone up to the age of 26 years old.... http://www.kidshelp.com.au/teens/

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

I edited the comment

no need to edit anything @FootyFan26 we are here tonight to hear everyones opinions equally, and it was just your opinion Smiley Happy