cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: [SPECIAL GUEST] Wear It Purple

The myth that gets my goat (lol!) is that transgender people have a fixed sexuality - like transgender women are attracted to men and transgender men are attracted to women. The reality is sexuality is that infinite spectrum for everyone including our trans* friends...

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

You're all making some incredible points! So I'd love to know, how do you think societal norms impact our perception on sexuality and gender?

People have only really raised a lot of awareness to this recently so people still assume that most people are straight.

If this had been considered 'normal' and awareness had been raised early people might be a bit more open to the Rainbow Alphabet. 

It's better it's come out now than never though.

That's so true Sophie! I totally agree. I think people combine ideas of gender and sexuality without meaning it sometimes, when really they're different things and deserve to be treated as such

my mother thinks that because i wore boys clothes as a kid, i am gay. she'll never be able to deal with my coming out again, this time as trans, if that is what i identify as. she grew up in a different time, that's all, i guess.

Well, like I mentioned before, young people aren't being educated on subjects such as sexuality and gender identity because people who aren't [rainbow] don't see it as a necessary topic to teach, which is really sad.
If society just taught people a little more we wouldn't have so much drama to deal with.

it affects us greatly, whether its just with the assumption that everyone is straight or the assumption that as soon as someone identifies as anything but straight they have an obligatory crush on you.
all of it impacts greatly on the perception we have on gender and sexuality.
as @Sophie said, the myth that trans people automatically like the opposite gender to what they identify as is just another societal norm that impacts on societies views of the rainbow community

Usually when I talk about this stuff with others I don't really use any terms because I'm scared I'll misuse them and fall into the stereotypes and misconceptions.

@FootyFan26 that's so true! You have to be happy in your own skin, and if that means coming out, that's great!  I'd love to think that one day people won't need to "come out", and the norm will be not assuming anyone is anything until they say something 

One thing that bugs me (like @Sophie-RO) has just said is when people make the connection between sexuality and gender identity and therefore are surprised when they find out that gender diverse people can also be sexuality diverse. 

We've only got 9 minutes left on this forum, so let's get cracking on some more questions! 

What are some of the challenges facing young rainbow people and what change would we like to see to address them?

We know it's a loaded question to answer in under 10 minutes, but go for it and let us know your thoughts! Smiley Wink