cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: [SPECIAL GUEST] Wear It Purple

yes aswell as what kya said, societal norms are just that we briefly teach kids what "gay" means and then everything is okay after that.
that's not the case, if we just spent a few more lessons or weeks actually teaching kids the other genders and sexualities. whether they identify as any or not would help make society a much for empathetic and equal place to live

thats an important point you raise blindeagle - that often trans people have to go through 2 coming out... there is support out there to help you with your mum blindeagle if you want it.... that support services fact sheet I posted will tell you about the services in your state.

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

the obligatory crush thing, you are so right... drives me insane...
- hey guys, I'm gay.
- oh my god, you must be in love with ALL OF THE GIRLS, AND ALL THE FEMALE TEACHERS!!!

Societal norms are also about the binary - like even if society are coming to terms with people being gay, or even transgendered - they struggle with people outside the binary..... like genderqueer etc.

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

Bre and I are both in high school and, I'm gonna repeat it; education.
Not even to just the rainbow kids, to everyone. Bre and I have dealt with a few ignorant people when it comes to sexuailty and gender so it would be great to have more education about it in schools. Not only will it give us rainbows a better insight, but it will hopefully help everyone understand the way sexuality and gender identity generally work.

Great question @LawsonWIP! I think one of the biggest challenges is simply understanding, and young rainbow people feeling like they have a supportive environment they can be themselves in. I'd love to see schools and other places become a little more inclusive so that rainbow young people don't feel they have to hide 

Highlighted

hey, thanks Sophie, i'll look into it.

yess, I believe if we just spent a little more time educating kids on the different sexualities and genders and all of that wed all live in a much healthier society with so much less misconception about the rainbow community

BlindEagle wrote:
you must be in love with ALL OF THE GIRLS, AND ALL THE FEMALE TEACHERS!!!

LOL!

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

@Kya Six Absolutely! How can we expect young people to have any kind of an understanding of rainbow people if many schools at the moment completely exclude them from discussions about things like relationships?