cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: [SPECIAL GUEST] Wear It Purple

The challenge of 'coming out'.  I'm sick of seeing people who are scared of what society would think of them and developing mental health problems.  I want society to accept people who are different to them without any judgement.

It's great to have ambassadors for these events and it would be great to have more.  A great example is Mitch Clark (Geelong Cats Player).  He has spoken openly about his depression and because sports is big in Australia lots of people have heard it.

It would be great to have well-known Aussies educate people on LGBTI+.

Sorry if that sounded bad.  As I said I have difficulty expressing things through writing.

Highlighted

i laugh now, but when they first said it... oh dear... tears of pain and of ridicule...

I agree - education is so important! I think a really important thing to ask though is, given this, how can we all get involved to make this kind of change happen? 

@LawsonWIP Exaaaactly *-*
It'd be awesome just to teach our peers a little about it just so we can get to a mutual level.
That's why I'd love to work with the WIP team for this years WIP day. It would just be so satisfying getting the knowledge out there.

for me, it has been about breaking down stereotypes for my peers, trying to help them understand as well as they can these aspects of myself.

well of course first off, education.
education is the biggest influence on a child's life, and if we teach them early that its okay to be a little different and even if your not to at least except things would be much different. so again, education first.

but also, in our communities and peer groups, if we shun more light on these things we'd make a much larger change in this world

I think one of the biggest challenges is discrimination and unsupportive environments... and we know that that can have big impacts on mental health and even suicide rates. So the big change I want to see is programs that make places like schools, TAFEs, unis, workplaces as visibly inclusive and supportive..... and people being supportive bystanders. So if you see an act of discrimination, intervene/speak up if it is safe to do so. Did you know that research shows that can actually counterbalance the negative impact of the act of discrimination and turn the impact of the whole event into a positive one (if people stand up for you and stand beside you when experiencing discrimination...) I think that's amazing! 

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

That's awesome to hear @Kya Six! We'd love to have you on board, and that invitation is extended to all of you. We're only one organisation, but we'll continue to work to get the word out! WIP Day is a really great initiative to get involved in. If you're not familiar with it, it occurs on August 28 this year, and we encourage people to wear purple to show their support for rainbow young people everywhere! It's a really nice gesture and shows that people around you support you, which can be really empowering!

as well as me @Kya Six
wed both love greatly to share our passion with the world by becoming a part of the WIP team this year

Working together is the main part.
Look at what we just had happen in Ireland. We can get the message across if we just work together.
It's a long time running but we can get there one day if we work together!