cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: [SPECIAL GUEST] Wear It Purple

@mimithegra wrote:
Twenty10 is a brilliant group of people! Probably something important to point out to everyone actually. If you're ever in need of counselling or looking for a supportive network, Twenty10 are a great organisation to have a look at!

Yes if you are in NSW Twenty10 are amazing - if you are in another state, here's the info for you

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

Hey @MsHarry - the important thing is that we try!!! And if we do get pronouns wrong, people are usually pretty understanding if you just make sure to apologise and correct yourself

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

Cheers @LawsonWIP! We've also been asked some really interested questions about transsexuality and being transgender. We've been asked how do you know if you're transsexual or transgender? and what are some indicators that you're transexual? 

So to kick us off, transgender and transsexuality are actually different terms, and I’ll explain how. Transgender is actually an umbrella terms used to describe all kinds of people who sit outside of the gender binary, which is cis-gender male or female, or whose gender might be different from the sex assigned at birth. Being transgender doesn’t require hormone therapy or surgery. On the other hand, transsexuality is a medical term for a person who makes the transition from one gender to another. It’s really your own place to decide if you are trans* or transgender.

It’s completely normal to be confused – there are a lot of different factors at play which can make it a difficult process. One of the best things you can do is think about who you are – do you feel like this term describes who you are? Or if it doesn’t, why not? That’ll help you to find a term that you think is true to who you are. Otherwise, there’s always “rainbow” which is an all encompassing term. If you’re concerned for your mental health at all, seek professional help. It is a difficult stage in a person’s life, and there’s no shame in wanting or needing to talk to someone. There are many organisations which provide a safe space where young people can seek help – Head space and Twenty10 just to name a few.

In terms of what to do if you think you might be transgender, that’s completely up to you. First of all, accept yourself, because it’s your life and self-acceptance is a very important part of being happy. From there, you may want to tell people close to you. Also remember that talking to other people going through a similar journey is a great way to learn about yourself!

Oh no footyfan - yr totally fine! I understand completely where you are coming from!

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

It's probably getting repetitive now, but Twenty10 really are an amazing group of people. Not only are they really lovely people, but they provide such an essential service for rainbow young people. When someone comes out to me or asks for advice about them, Twenty10's often the first place I go.

thanks for your great answers lawson and naomi - now we want to know from everyone

What are some of the myths associated with gender and sexuality? Why are these myths unhelpful, and what problems can they cause for sexuality and gender diverse people?

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

@Sophie-RO I feel that I'm doing more bad than good here so I might just watch and chip in once or twice if I'm up to it.

Sorry if I offended anyone.

Hey footyfan - you totally didn't offend anyone at all!! you have definitely not done any bad!! Sorry if that's the impression that you got from my posts, certainly not my intention!!!! It's great to have you here, I mean it.

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

one thing ive always found confusing is how if you say identify as homosexual but then date or love someone of the opposite gender people automatically assume you are now bisexual. to me I see it differently; your still homosexual you just happened to like someone of the opposite sex (that's why I always say it a sexual preference)

again though, that's my personal opinion. id love to know others views on what ive said and how they see it to be