cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: [Special Guest] Naomi from Wear it Purple!

it is important to be proud of who are you because it means you can feel good about who you are and be confident in being you, and you can be more resilient so when people try to knock you down, you're proud of who are anyway
//You can stay afraid, or slit the throat of fear and be brave//

Totally agree!

@Ben-RO that is an awesome response, and I agree entirely! I find being proud of myself helps me to not give a damn about what other people think of me (because I'm a bit of a weirdo Smiley Tongue). Basically, everything you've said Smiley Very Happy

@honky haha that's awesome! We've all got to "work it" Smiley Very Happy

Why is it important to be proud of who you are?

I think it is important because you are the only person you are ever going to be! Being proud of yourself will help you throughout all of your life endeavours - you will be more resilient and better able to support yourself and others Smiley Happy

I like your points @j95 @DirtWitch . So if i understand right.... if you know and have discovered the awesome aspects of yourself and appreciate that you're working hard to make life better for yourself and others, then you have that to fall back on when someone acts like a bit of a dick. Because you don't automatically accept what they are saying about you and how they perceive you. If you learn to be proud, you don't get swallowed up by some of the ridiculous and insensitive stuff some people believe about others. 

Highlighted

yeah, i had to make this all about me @Ben-RO but for an example (i don't identify as LGBTI+) when people have bullied me or make stupid comments to me about being indigenous I try to be proud of who I am and think about the good aspects, it hurts less when you feel proud of yourself rather than being kicked when you're already down
//You can stay afraid, or slit the throat of fear and be brave//

Those are some awesome responses, now it's time for the second question!

How do you support others to be proud of who they are?

Yeah I get that @j95 that totally applies!

@Ben-RO I definitely think having a strong and healthy sense of self is a greater buffer against bullies or even just people who mean well but unintentionally cause harm. I think a big part of it is also embracing aspects of yourself that you might not like as much, but instead of feeling shame over that you accept it while giving yourself the space to improve.

That's a good way to put it @j95. Being proud and thinking about all the amazing things that make you who you are and holding on to those parts rather than any negative comments that may come your way, for whatever reason