cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: [Special Guest] Naomi from Wear it Purple!

How can you support people facing issues or challenges with their identity and who they are?

We have two ears and one mouth so we should listen twice as much as we speak. I think it's important to start there., with just listening to people if they want to share and invite you to learn a bit more about who they are. But there's bazillions of other things we can do too so i look forward to reading all your answers Smiley Happy 

@N1ghtW1ng I think I pinched it from you tbh Smiley Tongue

How can you support people facing issues or challenges with their identity and who they are?

Send them lots of YouTube links. Or at least that's what I do Smiley Tongue It's probably not the best way to do it lol, like, 'Here, let me smother you in resources.' I agree that listening is super valuable. Hugs are also good. Pizza as well.

And now onto our next question: what are some ways we can brace ourselves for the results of the infamous plebiscite?

What are some ways we can brace ourselves for the results of the infamous plebiscite?

Can other people answer this because I don't even know Smiley Tongue

I think letting them know that you're there for them is important - as @Ben-RO said, we should listen twice as much as we speak. Listening can go a long way Smiley Happy

Highlighted

What are some ways we can brace ourselves for the results of the infamous plebiscite?

Show your support and be super open about it, help people see that they are not alone and that you accept them for who they. Make a post on your social media just saying something simple like " i'll vote for marriage equality", let people know they can have a chat to you if they're feeling stressed about it all, or tell them about RO if you're not up for that kind of pretty intense support at the moment 

I think some ways we can prepare for this vote is to first, prepare stuff for when the vote happens. Figure out some strategies to help you, talk to people you trust to help you with any feelings. Remember that no matter what happens, there are amazing people in this world, and you are one of them Smiley Happy

Haha agreed @roseisnotaplant..

Something that comes to mind for me is if in the unlikely event (judging by the polls) that the results that we want are not achieved it will at least be by a small margin which opens up room for more discussion about legalising equal marriage in the near future.

Also just generally showing your support to people around you and in the wider community in any way you can Heart

For allies it's definitely the time to step up. Check in with your LGBT friends to make sure how they're coping, share posts about enrolling to vote and more information about LGBT rights. Make it clear which side of the plebiscite you're on and if you see any homophobic or transphobic nonsense shut it down quick.

At my other LGBT folk: recognise if this event will be stressful for you (this is weird but I'm personally not that stressed out by it) and if it is...give yourself space to feel that discomfort or pain because it is justified. Take breaks and engage in your favourite self-care activities. If possible I would recommend staying away from major news outlets and even social media so you can take a breather from all this news.