cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: [Special Guest] Sexual Health with Nurse Nettie from Playsafe Australia

@j95 @may another There are public sexual health clinics( which are free, even without Medicare) across Australia.  They have nurses, doctors and counselors who can support you in navigating testing or new diagnoses or even building tools toward healthier or less risky sexual experiences in the future.  

Having support from a partner can be a huge help in dealing with your mental health, so what do you think partners of people with mental health issues should know to make sure they look out for their partners through a sexual relationship?

I keep saying communication....but it is super important. Things that could be helpful if they sound like something that would work for both parties: making a care/recovery plan together, regularly checking in every now and then about how things are going and how you are both feeling, and most importantly to ask them how you can best support them.

Hey guys! Thanks for the chat tonight, I've got to go now. Time for me to sleep Smiley Happy

Night all! Thanks again to @NurseNettie and everyone else for joining us Smiley Happy

Guess what day it was!!! It was Wear It Purple Day!! Come on over and learn all about what it is and what you can still do!

goodnight @N1ghtW1ng! thanks for stopping by Smiley Happy

@Stealth_ninja check out the Playsafe website as well for info. We have a Forum to discuss all things sex related as well as the option to email Nurse Nettie (me!) privately Smiley Happy

Having support from a partner can be a huge help in dealing with your mental health, so what do you think partners of people with mental health issues should know to make sure they look out for their partners through a sexual relationship?

It's up to you what you choose to disclose to another person, but i reckon communication is always helpful! I think its also really great if you are with a new partner to make sure your new partner knows you're totally down with talking through anything and everything that they might want to talk through Smiley Happy

We're getting towards the end....

Starting to explore your sexuality can be a nerve-wracking time and it’s understandable if you might feel a bit anxious or stressed out by it. What advice do you have for someone nervous about a potential new sexual experience?

//You can stay afraid, or slit the throat of fear and be brave//

Thanks for that @NurseNettie Smiley Happy Awsome 

Highlighted

Agree communication is the foundation, isn't it?  I would also add patience and sensitivity are really important to bring to any communication about sex. It's normal to feel vulnerable talking about sex as well as mental health. We need to be careful about the words we use.  Some quick rules of thumb: avoid assumptions and judgement.  Use "I" statements. Ask questions. 

Starting to explore your sexuality can be a nerve-wracking time and it’s understandable if you might feel a bit anxious or stressed out by it. What advice do you have for someone nervous about a potential new sexual experience?

Do things when you feel ready and with someone that you trust Smiley Happy. It's good if you can communicate that you both want the same thing out of the situation. However I do think there is waay too much pressure on "first times" being "perfect" (well I know I felt this pressure - not sure how others feel about it).