cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: [Special Guest] Stephanie from Sane Australia on Life with Borderline Personality Disorder

@Ben-RO love that analogy! I've also heard it described as living like a third degree burn patient - feeling super sensitive to the slightest touch/interaction, or like living without skin - nothing between you and the emotions other people/the environment can provoke, making the sensations super intense.

// Spiral outward, keep going. //

Re: [Special Guest] Stephanie from Sane Australia on Life with Borderline Personality Disorder

@scared01  I know it's early days with your diagnosis so take your time, but try and see it as a step in the right direction.  Now you have the diagnosis, you can do some research when you're ready, and learn about the illness.  In time you can become very self aware when you start to recognise your different triggers and responses, and engaging in different therapy types can really help manage these.   I hope that little bit of advice helps a little bit.

despite having trouble accepting i have BPD it was a relief at the same time. it explained things that werent in line with my anxieties and depression @Steph_SaneAustralia so now i can get help for those areas too

**NEVER be afraid to ask for help because you're WORTH it!**
Highlighted

Next question...

What is it like to live with personality disorder, what kinds of things are tough?

//You can stay afraid, or slit the throat of fear and be brave//

What is it like to live with personality disorder, what kinds of things are tough?

for me it is the extreme range of emotions and the sligest little thing can trigger it, half the time i dont even know what that trigger is..  i go through so many highs and lows each day there never seems to be just sitting in the middle sort of thing

It aint easy! To continue with the random umbrella analogy; if you're used to getting cold and wet whenever it rains you learn to get pretty worried about rain happening again. 

And likewise with living with BPD the stress of conflict in relationships, worry about getting hurt and actually getting hurt are all very very hard and stressful to deal with.

If you are soaking wet from a cold shower, than even just a little bit more cold or wet is enough to really stress you out! 

I always found managing my responses to uncomfortable situations without having a complete melt down/"episode" as I call them, to be one of the toughest things.  I learned it was because I was feeling an incredibly distressing thought, but I wasn't sure how to communicate my level of anxiety in an effective way, so it would manifest in an extremely emotional response and sometimes I would end up being suicidal.  This made managing relationships with family, partners and friends difficult.  Because when you're having an episode, you don't necessarily respond in line with your morals.  Once you calm down from the episode, you can feel a lot of shame around how you acted and that's a very confronting feeling to manage in itself.

Thank you for sharing that @Steph_SaneAustralia Smiley Happy 

yes @Steph_SaneAustralia that is another big one!

Although I've never been diagnosed with a PD, I'd imagine that it would get exhausting to be constantly trying to manage intense relationships with other people, as well as your own fluctuating self-image. As an extremely sensitive person myself, I often feel worn out by the effort of contradicting the nasty thoughts in my mind and accepting my strong emotions rather than resisting them.

// Spiral outward, keep going. //