cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: [Special guest] Butterfly Foundation- How do you know if you have an eating disorder?

Generally if one is pre-occupied with their weight, shape and relationship with food that it is impacting on functioning and enjoyment in life there can be cause for concern and can be helpful to speak with someone about this. 

Re: [Special guest] Butterfly Foundation- How do you know if you have an eating disorder?

So if people eat to cope with feelings, is that considered an eating disorder, @Chris-Butterfly ?

My entire life can be described in one sentence: It didn't go as planned and that's okay. ツ

Yeah certainly. We often see an eating disorder as being a way of coping with underlying stressors or to express or manage difficult emotions such as anxiety and depression

Hmm, time for another question! 

Do you think there something that might cause an eating disorder? Or is it just something that happens?

I'm actually really curious to hear @Chris-Butterfly's answer to this one! 

As for me, my answer to 

Do you think there something that might cause an eating disorder? Or is it just something that happens?

I think it's a bit of both, I think there's a lot of pressure from the outside world that can have an impact on how people feel they should look, so that might cause an eating disorder, but i don't think that's the only thing. I also think that sometimes when we have dealt with a lot of stress or some really hard to deal with thoughts we can turn to different things to cope. Sometimes that might be eating too much or too little or doing something else that we can have a little control over when other things feel really hard to control or cope with. 

That is a big question. There is no one thing that might cause an eating disorder. We know that there are certain risk factors that may contribute to someone develpoing and eating disorder. These include genetic predisposition and a combination of environmental and social factors. These can include low self esteem and low body image. Though just because someone may experience these does not mean they will develop and eating disorder. It can be a bit of  a perfect storm that may form for someone who may engage in disordered eating behaviour. 

I think that there could be a whole range of ways in which an eating disorder may develop. From the media's focus on the "perfect" body, to not having the right tools to deal with emotions and stressors.

My entire life can be described in one sentence: It didn't go as planned and that's okay. ツ

@Chris-Butterfly what do you mean by environmental and social factors? 

Yeah definetley can be a bit of both. You are right society's ideal of the 'perfect' body weight, shape and size can have a real impact on how we may feel about our self!

Highlighted

We know that bullying around one's weight and shape can have a real impact on body image and for some may lead to changes in dieting behaviour. Again, societal's ideal of the "perfect" body can have an impact too. Also the messages we may receive from family or friends about dieting or the reinforcement we may get from them if we have lost weight can be something that may drive continued weight loss as well.