cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: [Special guest] Live chat with Katherine Hicks for RUOK? day!

@Ben-RO

Yes! I know many who get the feeling that they won't talk to others when they're not ok because they sometimes internalise it and believe that it's their own fault and that they have to get out of it themselves. Another thing I've heard is that no one else understands how they feel and thus won't be able to help them.

Changing beliefs and perspectives on these things would definitely be helpful, though it is a hard step to take.

TG

That's an old bit of wisdom but one we often miss. US psychologist George Kelly once said "If you want to know what someone's on about, ask them...they just might tell you!" back in the 50's.  Too often we assume indirect chit chat will tell us what we need to know, but a direct RUOK might just get at what they need us to know.

Hi everyone!! @j95 @N1ghtW1ng @RevzZ Bay52VU

I think perhaps we should ask the next question! 

Have you ever asked "RUOK?" , what was it like?

Hey @TG, welcome to the chat (and RO!) Smiley Happy

That's an awesome quote, I guess sometimes something that seems to be common sense can seem so obvious that we forget to do it and RUOK? day can be that reminder.

Highlighted

Yes I have. Many times. On some occasions it can be difficult - the person might not want the attention and then on other occasions it has been a huge relief.
I am much better at asking others than talking about myself!
TG

That attitude is one of the reasons that male suicide outstrips female by a wide margin in every country in the world. The whole #21fathers campaign gets at the suffering of dads who've lost their kids to family court prejudice against them, so those are prime candidates for a friendly RUOK *any time*, not just one day a year!

Well i am a mental health professional type person.... so i have asked this question literally thousands of times Smiley Happy 

It's different every time, i think the first few times i asked someone this, it felt weird, like i was asking something really awkward. You learn pretty quickly that people don't find it weird though and even if they're doing great, it's actually just really nice to know someone cares and wants to check in with you Smiley Happy 

Funny enough, I've even asked myself that. It does get strange sometimes when you get caught up asking others how they're doing but neglecting to do so yourself. It has been silly sometimes but other times, it can be an eye opener and bring awareness to yourself and your own health.

TG

Some of that comes from not wanting to burden others with our problems. This is especially true with those who have low self-esteem already, and who feel that their problems are worth wasting others' time over. It becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy because other then act with no knowledge of their needs, and this invisibly reinforces the self-perception of worthlessness.