cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: [Special guest] Live chat with Katherine Hicks for RUOK? day!

@Bay52VU opening up in person can definitely be way more difficult than talking about it online, which is a big part of the reason why we're here! Opening up is something that a lot of people need to ease into to be comfortable with, so starting somewhere you feel comfortable with and working your way from that is a good way to go Smiley Happy

and also a lot of people have asked me on here and its been easier for me to say no im not ok anonymously online than with my mates
//You can stay afraid, or slit the throat of fear and be brave//

@Katherine-ruok I find that a very interesting point you make from an acting perspective. Normally, I'd believe that acting would make someone less likely to share since they can hide it more naturally.

Think of your answers to the last question when answering this one! 

Do you think people might feel a bit scared of saying they are not OK? What can you do to help someone feel a bit more comfortable about opening up? 

Do you think people might feel a bit scared of saying they are not OK? What can you do to help someone feel a bit more comfortable about opening up?

Something I did when I was talking to my friend and asking them if they were okay, was open up myself first. That way I think it shows them that I'm serious and that I care about and trust them, because I think going first is harder, and if you're willing to then it can help break the ice.

Highlighted

I can understand your perspective! I'm not very good at hiding anything... probably helps with acting!! Most actors I know are highly empathetic and expressive but alot are also very introverted! Like most groups - there is alot of diversity Smiley Happy 

I think we've established throughout the chat already that opening up and saying you're not ok can be pretty hard. I guess some people may have a harder time because you've caught them at a particularly bad moment or they're just not at the stage where they're ready yet, so just letting them know you're there if they need you to listen and talk and letting them take charge of the situation might help them to open up a bit more. Sometimes when people are particularly shy or introverted by nature, pushing them to talk when they say they're fine can be the opposite of helpful, so a big part of it is reading them and they're personality to find what works for them.

This is a tricky question! I think there's a lot of stigma around mental health, and different types of stigma that get in the way of opening up. 

There's a couple of types of stigma and we can have stigma about our own mental health, about ourselves. So in other words, we can think that our symptoms or experiences make us somehow not as good as other people, that we deserve it or that it's our fault, this is called self-stigma. 

There's also the stigma that other people have (or that we think that they have). So we might think that other people will think it's our fault etc. 

Push back on any of this stigma and you make it easier for someone to open up about what's happening! 

Have a think about how you normally communicate with them - are they more talkative in texts/messages, while kicking a footy around, or do they like focused verbal chats? It might be easier for them to open up in a different sort of conversation.

____________________#iftoastershadfeelings____________________

I think picking the right time and place is important. You want to have the conversation somewhere where they'll be comfortable opening up. I like to pick somewhere comfy and relatively quiet. But I think it should be somewhere you'd normally hang - like a cafe or the quiet corner of a park or the beach Smiley Happy Then it's about showing you're serious about listening to them. I'm such a chatter box that I have to remind myself to give them space to think and share. So sometimes I even count the pauses to make sure I'm not rushing them along Smiley Happy