cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: [Special guest] The elephant in the room

Wooo! Now we know about why Batyr was created, where it gets its inspiration and what Batyr does for young people and mental health stigma lets get to the next question....

Why don’t we talk about the elephant in the room?

|| Life runs in cycles, the wheel never stops turning, no matter how dark the night morning comes, no matter how cold the winter, spring comes. When you feel despair know that the wheel is turning, joy will come. ||

Never heard of them before.
Highlighted

Hey @N1ghtW1ng and @FootyFan26 Smiley Happy Thanks so much for joining us tonight
|| Life runs in cycles, the wheel never stops turning, no matter how dark the night morning comes, no matter how cold the winter, spring comes. When you feel despair know that the wheel is turning, joy will come. ||

Well mental health stigma is still an issue that affects the way people talk about mental health. There might be more acceptance of issues like depression and anxiety, but people still use terms like 'crazy' and 'psycho' to describe people with mental illness and create false correlations between mental illness and violence. Plus, people still think in very one-dimensional terms about less common mental health issues, like OCD or eating disorders

That elephant sounds awesome. Smiley Very Happy

Why don't we talk about the elephant in the room? Probably because of the stigma around mental health.

In my experience most people just don't want to talk about it. It's shunned.
===========================
Trying to make my misery
just a piece of my history
A little less victim a little more victory
-Icon for Hire

Oh and HIIIIII everyone sorry I'm late
===========================
Trying to make my misery
just a piece of my history
A little less victim a little more victory
-Icon for Hire

• Inexperience
  • Awkward
  • Worried about saying the wrong thing
  • Worried about offending someone
  • Seen negatively
  • Might feel embarrassed
  • Hiding or avoiding dealing with it
  • Trying to look 'tough' because of stereotypes

Hey @redhead! Smiley Very Happy

That is a simple question that has a LOT of answers I think.

We know that some people experiencing some kinds of mental illness actually don't feel like talking about it or asking for help and that's actually a part of the illness. So I think that's a small part of why we don't talk about it. But there's a LOT more to it than that.

A much bigger part is that I don't think we feel like people will respond well if we start talking about it. There's still a lot of stigma and up until only a few decades ago we were really pretty crap at supporting people when they reached out for help. I think that makes it really scary to talk about. There's a lot more to it than that though! Looking forward to reading your answers Smiley Happy