cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: [Special guest] The elephant in the room

Definitely makes it harder @N1ghtW1ng, sometimes it only takes others to share to help people see it is actually there.

@Nic - Batyr you're a poet and you don't even know it Smiley Happy

We've seen some really diverse responses, which is really great - barriers to talking about mental health are affected by a heap of factors!

Here is a somewhat related question which we kinda already asked, but let's answer it anyways heh

Have you ever encountered stigma around mental health? What are some of the common types of stigma that you have seen?  

@FootyFan26 That makes sense, it can be seen as a weakness to admit you have a mental illness since others can't always tell.

@j95 @safari93 I agree Smiley Happy

"Why do you think it's different when it comes to talking about someone's mental health?"

One reason I can think of is that physical stuff has an obvious physical cause, and sometimes has a pretty cool story behind it that can be shared and laughed about with friends - eg. they accidentally broke their leg while ollying 12 stairs. It's relatable and people are ok with talking about things if they're spun into a story you can joke and laugh about. Even physical stuff is less ok to talk about if there's no fun spin to it. I've never seen a fun-awesome-adventure-cool story about how someone's mental health has deteriorated.

____________________#iftoastershadfeelings____________________

Have you ever encountered stigma around mental health? What are some of the common types of stigma that you have seen?
I can't say for sure. If I'm honest I'm not really sure what you would class as stigma.
Highlighted

I haven't but I've seen it around me.  Most common types of srigma I've seen are weakness and 'craziness' if you know what I'm gettin' at.

@N1ghtW1ng is it that you're not sure what kinds of behaviour classifies as stigma? Like what kinds of statements/actions about mental illness can be called stigma?

Yeh that is definitely a form of stigma @FootyFan26. Stigma is pretty much putting a negative spin on a topic or making someone feel they can't talk about it without being shamed or at least made to feel bad.

Yes @safari93