cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: [Special guest] The elephant in the room

I have school tomorrow, I'm going to have to call it a night. Thanks for the chat and hope you guys have a good one! Smiley Happy

Those are all awesome points. I think stories can be such strong ways we can talk about a stigmatised topic in such a powerful and positive way!

Now for the last question of the night....
How do you support someone who opens up to you and tells you their story?

Sleep well @FootyFan26. Thank you so much for joining in to talk about the elephant in the room tonight. And for your super insightful perspective Smiley Very Happy
|| Life runs in cycles, the wheel never stops turning, no matter how dark the night morning comes, no matter how cold the winter, spring comes. When you feel despair know that the wheel is turning, joy will come. ||

Thanks for being a part of tonight @FootyFan26. Have a great night and day at school tomorrow Smiley Happy
Highlighted

Night @FootyFan26! Thanks for being involved! Awesome hearing what you had to say.

Thanks for sticking around @FootyFan26 so grateful to have your insight into this Smiley Happy

Good night @FootyFan26!!

Right out, letting the person tell their story how they want to, and at the pace that they feel comfortable with. Also helping them find resources or helping them access resources that they find. Although I think through your actions you should show that your support will be consistent and respectful 

I think supporting someone can just be listening non judgementally, not always having something to say but just listening.

Give them time - dont rush them or interupt or try to change the direction of the conversation.

Use active listening. Pay attention, have open body language.

Dont make judging comments or undermine anything they say.

Be prepared to assist them seek help if they need it.

Remind them to practice self care afterwards.

Do not try to provide them with answers or fix their problems.

Keep things confidential, dont tell other people details they do not need to know - you have been told in confidence. (of course, if there is risk of harm there is a duty of care to tell an appropriate professional)

|| Life runs in cycles, the wheel never stops turning, no matter how dark the night morning comes, no matter how cold the winter, spring comes. When you feel despair know that the wheel is turning, joy will come. ||

Thank them for it
===========================
Trying to make my misery
just a piece of my history
A little less victim a little more victory
-Icon for Hire