cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: [Special guest] Twenty10 talks about coming out.

@Ben-RO it's a nice notion that one day we may not have to invite in anyone, where these sorts of things are considered normal (which they are). But I think so long as the norm is heterosexuality, and gender binary, then there may always have to be some process of inviting in- but hopefully it'll be SO much easier.

Some challenges people face is judgement from those they let in. And rejection if there is a disagreement. It can cause stress and worry and hurt.

@OceanMaster1207 a good point! What I'm wondering now is: Assume we kick the heteronormative culture (Heteronormative is a fancy way of saying that people assume straight is all there is). Now even if people can be whatever they want to be, and it's all good no matter what, will we still want to invite people in to share our identity?  

@OceanMaster1207 I want that too. I mean, just telling someone that "I'm gender neutral" or so and so when you've decided that and it to be a "alrighty mighty, what do you want to be called?" Just a calm, relaxed response.

This website is so awesome @N1ghtW1ng !!!

What do you mean by that @Ben-RO?

What are some of the challenges people face when inviting people in?

There are too many to count! Feeling ashamed and different, not having support, being kicked out of home, having to justify or explain, being physically or emotionally hurt by others. So I think it's important to try and get a sense of your own individual safety if you are to invite someone in. What support do you have? Are the people you're telling likely to be accepting (very hard to know sometimes)?

I think so @Ben-RO. There will always be some parts of us that we only like to share with important, trusted people. And that is what makes it special.
|| Life runs in cycles, the wheel never stops turning, no matter how dark the night morning comes, no matter how cold the winter, spring comes. When you feel despair know that the wheel is turning, joy will come. ||

OMG @N1ghtW1ng that website is awesome! Smiley Very Happy