cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: [Special guest] Twenty10 talks about coming out.

Wow !! @N1ghtW1ng What an amazingly resourceful/filled way of supporting people to understand!! Did you make that?!

Thanks @Chessca_H @RainbowLane

What are some of the challenges people face when inviting people in?

• Not knowing how the other people will react, since it's often considered contraversial and people's reactions aren't always positive and the situation can sometimes be unsafe.
  • Having a million questions fired at them, some of which may not be appropriate to ask.
  • People assuming things about them based on (often incorrect) stereotypes.
  • Somehow becoming the "spokesperson" or "the one ___ friend" where people might assume that your experiences speak for everyone in that group of people.
____________________#iftoastershadfeelings____________________

What are some of the challenges people face when inviting people in?

Predicting how others will react. Feeling comfortable enough in themselves. Knowing how much they want to share and how much they want to keep to themselves. Knowing what the other people will do with the information you share. Finding the right time and way to do so.

|| Life runs in cycles, the wheel never stops turning, no matter how dark the night morning comes, no matter how cold the winter, spring comes. When you feel despair know that the wheel is turning, joy will come. ||

@Ben-RO thats such a tough question! It's hard to know whether labels will be something we'll feel we need when there's not a difference in how we're treated anymore 

Yeah @Bobby-Twenty10 Smiley Happy I'd finally made up my mind on what I wanted to be and because I was overseas and hate talking to people, I made a website so I wouldn't have to Smiley Tongue

@Ben-RO HA! I think I know what you're getting at. So assuming heteronormativity is out the window, and it's safe to be whatever would we still invite people in to share identity? And I think we would Smiley Happy I think inviting people in helps connect us with other people and makes our relationships stronger

@N1ghtW1ng that website is incredible! Smiley Very Happy

I think it'd still be important to share our identity @Ben-RO, but it'd just be in a less heavy conversation. Like "What's your favourite food?" level normal where there's no wrong answer (except for the new Shapes. That is always the wrong answer.).
____________________#iftoastershadfeelings____________________

@N1ghtW1ng i guess i am wondering if we would still want to choose who we share our identities with even after we get rid of all the assumptions that societies often make that make it harder to share our identities.