cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: Talking about suicide on social media - have your say!

Hello! I'm Minnie. Like Lauren and Xin, I'm also a member of the Youth Brains Trust for the YAWCRC. 

Erm, I guess I accidentally got a bit of the head start with this forum. Posted too early! Oops ^^"

What do you mean by approached in different ways? Approached by who?
Xin

MM, it is so incredibly awesome that you have colouring-in on standby. I'm particularly grateful that we're free to leave the conversation whenever we need. I was feeling pretty drained and I didn't want to do this thread injustice, so I got out some manga (One Piece) to read between posts. Awesomesauce.

I think people are much more open on social media about feeling suicidal than in person. I know I could hardly have ever said it out loud to anyone, but I've said it on social media before (but more anonymously.)
I have contacted other people who I have seen as at risk because of something they've said on twitter or fb, and talked to them via DM or text if I know them. It helps you to feel less powerless. It's so scary when someone says they're suicidal and then disappears from social media and you don't know how else to contact them.

It's really problematic that young people reach out for a human connection through social media, because sometimes they inevitably will not get it. I think at times people may start experimenting by saying something here and there on Facebook, about feeling low for example, and they may have a response from others which validates their experience. However after they continue to reach out in the same way people tend to stop responding to them, and the young person can feel more alone than when they began to try reaching out.

kat

I agree with Calypso,
that is a problem, not being able to insure a person is safe after a conversation has ended is troubling.

Hey all!

It's great to see so many of you here! It's going to be a great discussion. Smiley Happy Great points already coming through. Smiley Happy

Xin - I'm glad to hear you also have something awesome on standby! What else do others have on standby if things get overwhelming? And yep, don't feel obliged to stay for the whole discussion!!!

I often see that happening too Stacey... the more people post things that have the potential to bring others down, the less people respond...

I also know that some young people have separate, anonymous accounts on twitter to speak more freely. It's not necessarily so that others cannot contact them outside that account if ther=yre worried, but to avoid stigma...

Hi everyone who's just joined us, it's great to have you here!

More info: Question ONE

Have you seen suicide and suicidal thoughts talked about on social media? Where (e.g. a facebook message? on twitter?)

With this question it's important to be low on detail - don't post anything that might be triggering for others. Consider how your contributions will give a good idea of your experience to the Roundtable, but be sensitive to others in the discussion.

I don't know that moderation and monitoring work. I think people will always find an unmoderated avenue to speak if they feel that their feelings are being censored. I feel like it's more about reaching out and offering support.