cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Talking about suicide on social media - have your say!

It's time to wrap up.

Ok everyone, we're going to wrap it up. We're going to close this forum shortly after 8.30pm.

You're the BEST!

Your thoughts and comments have been INCREDIBLY valuable. They're going to be used to inform the first Australian Roundtable on Young People, Suicide Prevention and Social Media, convened by the Young and Well Cooperative Research Centre.

Stay in touch with the Roundtable

To hear about updates relating to the Roundtable and this consultation, you can subscribe to the Young and Well Network here: http://www.youngandwellcrc.org.au/network
We'll keep you up-to-date with developments - and can't wait to keep you in the loop!

Stay calm, safe and well

Moving forward, let's think about self-care. It might be a good idea to have a debrief with a friend tomorrow about tonight's conversation. If you're feeling upset, then it's definitely important to talk to a friend or family member now. If you're feeling distressed, just pick up the phone for an easy chat with someone at Lifeline 13 11 14 or Kids Helpline 1800 55 1800 (up to 25 years old).

THANK YOU

Treat yourself to something nice tonight as a reward (and partly our thanks) for contributing to this discussion tonight - your thoughts really will make a difference!

PS. And an ENORMOUS thanks to mischiefmanaged for making sure we all take care of ourselves! You're a Wellbeing Master Smiley Wink

How can the culture of using social media be used to a young person's advantage?

Social media has the ability to pass things on quickly, which will allow a young person to find help quickly as well. 

Is reaching out for help on social media and inherently bad thing? Why/why not?

Yes: 

- Seeking help can be misinterpretated (e.g. attention-seeking, blown out of proportion, emotion can be misinterpretated too - could be seen as sarcasm or some kind of dark humour)

- Privacy: Social media is social, so for the majority of sites - making connections or "friends" is a key component in being online. When a young person posts a status/note/image, it can be seen by everyone that they are connected to. With privacy settings, there are still a handful of people that can see. Depending on your personal tastes, those people may be people you know and trust or people that are anyone - if you're the kind of person who'll add anyone. There's the possiblity that what you post can be forwarded or sent to others, which can create a colossal problem - branching out to create others, which may not have anything to do with original one. (e.g. bullying) 

No: 

- It allows somebody, if not an audience, to help out. 

- More resources; makes it quicker to find them

Why could it be positive?

It broadens communication with others and others can bring great knowledge. It will allow people, particularly young people, to provide more resources and contacts to help. 

What do we need in place to make it a positive thing?

To show that it is ok, when utilised responsibly, through advertising, articles and logos that appeal to young people. 

And to appeal to young people, there has to be some kind of mystique but still making the message pretty clear. With social media such as FB and retweeted, posts/images can be reposted - hence, spreading the message. I didn't really want to bring this up, but it seems to be the only example that comes up in my mind, but the Kony2012 trend spread very quickly, despite the fact that a lot of yp had no idea what was going on. However, unlike, this trend, I think we would all like to aim for seeking help in social media is a positive thing permanent and engrained in young people's minds as long as we possibly can. 

Thanks very much for the great discussions everyone. I really learned a lot from your stories, perspectives and experiences. I hope that all that's been collated tonight makes a really positive impact in the not-too-distant future.

Thanks to Doug for co-facilitating, and to MM for the constant messages of support and the funny animal pictures. That's just awesome.

Peace out everybody!
Highlighted

Hey guys,

Thanks so much for all the amazing input!! And thanks dougsky for asking all the great questions!

Just before we finish up for tonight, I just wanted to make sure that you are all doing okay after the discussion. Tonight's discussion was full on so it's important that you do something nice for yourself now. Whether that's having a nice shower, drawing, writing, looking at cute animal pictures, calling a friend, or watching your fave tv show. It's important we all practice self-care now!

If you are particularly distressed please remember the helpines:

http://www.kidshelpline.com.au - 1800 551 800. Kids Help Line (KHL) are available 24/7 and are for anyone aged up to 25 years. They are free from most mobile phones too. They also offer online counselling at set times.

https://www.lifeline.org.au/Get-Help/Online-Services/crisis-chat - 13 11 14. Life Line (LL) avalable for any age 24/7. Also offer online counselling. They are also free from most carriers.

http://www.eheadspace.org.au - they offer online support for young people up to 25 years.

http://www.suicidecallbackservice.org.au/ - 1300 659 467 - Suicide Call Back Service. If you are feeling suicidal or at risk of hurting yourself PLEASE give this service a call. It is the cost of a local call, but they are available 24/7 and are available for anyone of any age.

This discussion was fantastic, I learnt a lot and I'm sure you did too!!

One final cute pic for the night: http://i.chzbgr.com/completestore/2011/9/6/5d31b048-c5ff-41de-a959-5a56d5ef4e92.jpgn

in the hope it will make you all smile!!!

Thanks again for the great discussion and PLEASE make sure you take extra good care of yourself tonight.

You are all superstars!!! Smiley Very Happy

MM. Smiley Happy