cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Talking about suicide on social media - have your say!

Good point bluebird,
It's important that people know about welfare checks - but it is much harder if we don't know many personal details about the person!

Very true. If that was the case, I'd do my best to find it out, including asking the person themself.. letting them know that I was really worried and wanted to help... and that I could ask for the help for them, by calling ambo's or police... and I wouldn't just leave them then, I'd still be there to support them through whatever happened next, to the best of my ability.... and taking into account my own self care too!

You're all doing GREAT. We're really excited about how much thought and effort you're putting into providing your thoughts for this consultation! We've had some comments on twitter about you're focused on solutions - it's really heartening to read.

Question FOUR

How can the culture of using social media be used to a young person’s advantage?

Is reaching out for help on social media and inherently bad thing? Why/why not?

Why could it be positive?

What do we need in place to make it a positive thing?

There are a few questions in this one too! Don't worry about covering everything - anything is helpful! Smiley Happy

...Go you good things!

Xin

I also wanted to mention that self-care is huge. I know that I have a tendency to take other people's problems on as my own, so I've recently started drawing a very firm line in the sand about the way I respond to someone's needs. I express genuine care, but I also don't let myself get sucked in. If a friend is suicidal, I don't feel that if they commit suicide, it's in any way my fault, or even necessarily my responsibility. My role is to be a friend, not a saviour. (And if not a friend, then an acquaintance, a supporter, a casual stranger or whatever my relationship with the person might be at the time.)

I just thought that was really important to share.

Why do young people turn to social media in really difficult times?

I think it is because it can be an anonymous way to express how they feel, and it's easier than talking to someone face-to-face. I know that I have vented about things on twitter in the past because I know no one can see it and I just wanto get things off my chest. I also think it is easier for YP to seek help and info online without people knowing than it is face-to-face  - there is some good information out there if you know where to look (which is something I like about Tumblr). They can also connect with others who are going through similar things to them.

What do we know about young people's intentions when they go online and talk about suicide - are young people using SM to express suicidal ideation asking for help?

The posts I see on Tumblr are usually from people looking for help and support or wanting to have a vent.

Unfortunately I have to go now Smiley Sad, wish I had known about this earlier. All the replies are really awesome, great work everyone! Will definitely be back to read over this later! Smiley Happy

I am super impressed that you guys mentioned self-care! It's really important part of helping other young people. And please don't forget to use self-care with this discussion too!

This chat has been amazing! Just a bit more to go. Smiley Happy

I'm just going to post the numbers up again in case anyone needs them now, as we've obviously discussed some really full on stuff so far!

http://www.kidshelpline.com.au - 1800 551 800. Kids Help Line (KHL) are available 24/7 and are for anyone aged up to 25 years. They are free from most mobile phones too. They also offer online counselling at set times.

https://www.lifeline.org.au/Get-Help/Online-Services/crisis-chat - 13 11 14. Life Line (LL) avalable for any age 24/7. Also offer online counselling. They are also free from most carriers.

http://www.eheadspace.org.au - they offer online support for young people up to 25 years.

http://www.suicidecallbackservice.org.au/ - 1300 659 467 - Suicide Call Back Service. If you are feeling suicidal or at risk of hurting yourself PLEASE give this service a call. It is the cost of a local call, but they are available 24/7 and are available for anyone of any age.

Anddddd another cute pic for you! http://catpicsomg.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/CHEESE.jpg

MM.

That's such an important point by Xin - we cannot all be each other's saviours. We need to be our own saviours. For sure we all need friends and families and caring strangers, but we have to be responsible for the direction of our own lives. That's the thing I find most concerning about the use of SM in this way - it sometimes feels that peope put their problems out to the world and have the expectation that someone else will make it go away. BUT I know that that's often not the intention. I do think SM has a place in help-seeking - we just need to ensure people know the appropriate avenues through which they can get the right help! (not a dismissive or invalidating comment like they'll often get on general SM sites)

Question FOUR

Is reaching out for help on social media and inherently bad thing? Why/why not?

No. I totally agree with DarwinLoz earlier when she said that at least they are seeking help at all! It doesnt matter that it's social media, at least they are reaching out for support.

Reaching out for help on SM is NOT an inherently bad thing, as it is a great way for people to find out about resources that might help them (e.g. RO.com, KHL, eheadspace). The yp needs to be aware though that SM is NOT a replacement for professional help and some things DO require the support of health professionals. Other yp on their sm accounts are generally not health professionals so they need to be realistic in recognizing that. 

It is a good place for yp to "test" the water and see how people react and it's somewhere that yp feel safe and secure to post what's happening for them - that should NOT be underestimated. But the bigger problem is working out how we can help yp get from looking for help on SM to accessing professional help outside of SM.

Xin

I'm not really sure what the "culture of using social media" is exactly, but having it accessible practically 24/7 is a powerful way to connect with people, and through them, potential help. If they don't receive the support they're seeking from friends, perhaps they can access it themselves through exploring sites like RO or using the KHL. R U OK Day is a great example of how the culture of SM can be used to express care. I hope that many people received messages from people who they didn't think had noticed.

I mentioned earlier that it is by no means inherently a bad thing to reach out for help via social media. All people have basic needs- the need to be safe, cared for, loved, supported etc. If a person is not receiving these things, it is entirely understandable that they will reach out to others for them. Social media might not be the best avenue, but at least it's an avenue. And through it, many people have received help (even if many others have not).

It could be positive because it can connect people with the help they need! But in order for that to work, more people need to become aware of what help is out there. I would love to see more people accessing sites like RO. Furthermore, it's important that YP feel that if they have a problem, they could benefit from getting help! Too many people think they're alone in their problems and that they can't turn to anyone. I dearly wish that all people became aware of how many services and people are out there who are willing to help if they only reached out.