cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: AMAA: Change with Psychologist Rashida

It sounds like you've had some amazing experiences along the way, and it's so refreshing to hear about non-linear journeys! I can imagine that you would bring so much to your role now  with so many diverse experiences, and it's so refreshing to hear someone talking about all of the twists and turns along that path

Check out our community activities calendar here

Sounds like the skills you got are serving you really well in your current role Smiley Happy

You are right - the 4+2 pathway i did to gain my registration is being phased out in 2022 i believe, however, there are still many other pathways you can take in order to get registration. 

Yes so many twists and turns - all really worth it now although at the time it was a pretty overwhelming feeling when a new change would occur!

I'll move on to the next question now, thanks so much Rashida Smiley Happy It was lovely to learn a bit more about you! 

changing gustavo torres GIF by kidmograph

This question really resonated a lot with me: 

What are some factors that can make going through a change easier? What are some factors that can make this harder?

Great question.

Factors that can make going through a change easier is if the change is somewhat expected or if you’ve had time to prepare for it v’s if it is a sudden change. Factors that can make going through change harder are if it has caught you off guard and been a bit of a shock.

Also the type of change you are going through will be a really important factor in determining whether it is easier or harder to go through. For example changing outfits for a night out will still cause stress and be somewhat difficult, but considerably less stress than changes from moving house!

I agree @GuestPsychologist1. I remember we learned a theory about a 'social clock' during my undergraduate degree. Some events are expected during certain points in our lives ('on time' events) and some might not be ('off time' events). I think it would be harder to deal with something that you wouldn't expect to happen at that point in your life.

So true @GuestPsychologist1  - I have to say that moving house is definitely up there for me as one of life's more unpleasant and stressful events! 

This next question follows on from the one before, and I know I can definitely relate : 

Anxiety disorder – Scarlett minz

How can we cope with anxiety about change?

oh my gosh I almost forgot about this chat, sorry I'm late, hi everyone!

@WheresMySquishy what a great explanation and theory. So perfect for this question and you’re exactly right. Also a good talking point that even when events may be ‘on time’ events, we may then feel like we ‘should’ be better prepared for them when they happen, but still be left feeling overwhelmed by the emotion they bring up. An example is we all know we will eventually graduate and leave school or university and move into the next stage of our lives however it can still be really difficult when it comes about.

Hi @Lost_Space_Explorer5 ! No worries at all, it's lovely to see you here Smiley Happy