cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: AMAA: Change with Psychologist Rashida

Hi @Lost_Space_Explorer5! Glad to have you here! Smiley Happy

How can we cope with the anxiety of change - one way is to bring it back to what is within our control. At times change brings about anxiety due to the unknown - the ‘unknown’ can be a very scary place as our brain is attempting to avert risk or perceived threat all the time; The ‘unknown’ territory of change will then at times be perceived as a ‘threat’ resulting in feelings of anxiety. Therefore we want to accept the parts of the change that may be out of our control and bring it back into what’s within our control during this change, things that could be within our control are - our self-care routines during the change like practicing deep breathing and mindfulness activities, talking about it with someone you trust and know cares for you, managing the anticipation of the change, gently re-framing or challenging the change into something more positive.

@Lost_Space_Explorer5 welcome! Smiley Happy so glad you are here.

Haha thanks @GuestPsychologist1  Smiley Happy I like the idea of trying to focus on things we can control during uncertain times

@GuestPsychologist1  that's so true, the unknown can indeed be a very scary place, and I feel like it really gets the lizard parts of my brain going- straight into those primal emotions and reactions!  Accepting the parts of things that are out of our control and bringing it back to what's in our control is such a great way to frame that. 

This question follows on nicely from that one: 

How do you accept bad news?  

Check out our community activities calendar here

@GuestPsychologist1  Something I have been trying to do lately when I've been worried about the future is writing down my fears and then coming back to it. Usually, the outcome ends up not being as bad as I was anticipating.
I also like your idea about focusing on the things we can control, especially as sometimes there is nothing we can do to change the situation.

Lol the lizard parts of your brain Smiley LOL @Janine-RO

Can you imagine if humans went extinct and some other creatures take over and say 'ugh the human part of my brain is really messing me up today' Smiley Tongue

@WheresMySquishy ooh that's such a good tactic! Have you ever written letters to future you and read them years later? I remember doing that at school lol

@WheresMySquishy journaling and writing down fears is so valuable. - I often say if you’re out and about and a fear or worry comes to mind, jot it down in your phone notes!

Coming back to it when you’re less anxious will also be so much more helpful as you will have a better ability to review it and check in about whether your anxiety is in proportion to the change or thing you’re fearing.  

@Lost_Space_Explorer5  Hahaha yes! Smiley LOL
It's funny because I always forget that I've written the letters.