cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: AMAA: LGBTIQA+ ReachOut Edition

Also awesome that your parents are queer @Bre-RO! I feel like a lot of parents aren't so open with their experiences. Sometimes my mum says things about other women and I look at her like... 

hahah. 

Also wanted to add writing things down is great, I came out to my mum in a text haha. Also while driving, gosh I hear sooo many stories of people coming out to their parents/ saying important things in the car (I know I do too!). It's less confrontational as they're focused on something else + no need for eye contact.

Awesome answer @Bre-RO Smiley Very Happy I love the idea of finding your family and building a support network Smiley Happy It sounds like being nervous is a common and normal experience no matter who you're coming out to! I guess if you're expecting a really bad reaction from your friends or family, I think it's best to prioritise your safety first and have a backup plan in the worst case scenario?

It is awesome! @Hozzles  hahahah that made me lol - and so so true about finding it easy to chat in the car. Such a great place to have hard conversations

@Lost_Space_Explorer5 exactly! It never hurts to have a back up plan in life, best case scenario you don't have to use it. If you do, at least there's one less thing to worry about. 

@Bre-RO  I would feel hurt by that too. Smiley Sad
I think it can feel really overwhelming having to explain yourself to people over and over again. I often get sick of questions such as, 'Why aren't you in a relationship?' or 'Why don't you get crushes on people?'
I wish I had a shirt explaining the reason! Smiley LOL

That would be so frustrating @WheresMySquishy! Smiley Sad It's not your job to have to educate people..

@WheresMySquishy Exactly this. I've gotten this a lot as I get older. My response to those questions is, "I have a healthy relationship with food <insert smirk emoticon>"

Putting Jimmy Fallon GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

Thank you all so much for joining me tonight. It has been such a wholesome way to spend the evening chatting with you all. It was so fun getting ReachOut staff members involved in this AMAA and I really hope you all enjoyed it as much as I did. 

If anything we have spoken about tonight has been hard to think about or read, here are some resources for you. You can also make a new thread and get some support Heart 

Qlife is a queer run helpline and they can be contacted on 1800 184 527

Lifeline are there for you if you are feeling distressed and they can be contacted on 13 11 14

Once again, thank you all so much. I loved spending my evening with you all Heart

I've loved this chat tonight!
I'd like to thank all the staff members who contributed, as well as you for facilitating it @Bre-RO! Smiley Happy

I've also loved reading your responses @hunginc  @Lost_Space_Explorer5  @Hozzles! Smiley Happy

Thank you @Bre-RO! This was such an awesome idea and fun chat and it was cool to hear the replies of so many RO staff members Smiley Very Happy Thanks for running and organising this chat Smiley Happy