cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: AMAA: LGBTIQA+ ReachOut Edition

Completely agree Heart. It also makes me so emotional seeing all the love and support, and knowing younger generations may not have to face the same kind of backlash. I always get emotional seeing shirts like 'proud parent of a transgender daughter!' on them at Pride.

Thanks @Bre-RO Smiley Happy Heart I think I've also internalised some stuff from growing up- having conservative parents and going to a religious school. I'm sure I'll work it out eventually! Not sure if I'm bi or gay or straight or a confused blob or something else Smiley LOL I *think* I'm bi but I don't know Smiley Sad

@WheresMySquishy omg I was gonna buy a rainbow lanyard but they were sold out at uni! Smiley Sad

I feel so overwhelmingly proud when I see everyone at Mardi Gras @Hozzles all the rainbow families and all the generations that came before us and fought so hard so we could have it easier Heart 

@Bre-RO  I think it is also important to recognise the history behind the community. It doesn't get talked about enough. A lot of people I know who are straight act surprised when I tell them about all the sacrifices and challenges many members of the community have been through over the years.

I think at one point or another we all go through the confused blob stage @Lost_Space_Explorer5  it's kind of a rite of passage Smiley LOL

100% @WheresMySquishy so many sacrifices and we forget that it wasn't THAT long ago. I am listening to a podcast called "if these walls could talk" and theres an episode on Mardi Gras and I learned new things about the first march and gosh..its just so hard to imagine that things were so bad back then Smiley Sad 

@Lost_Space_Explorer5  That's disappointing! I ended up buying mine online from overseas because they had free shipping. But I think Minus18 sells them too.
I saw some friends at work wearing them and I just had to get one too. Smiley Tongue

@WheresMySquishy definitely!! Especially things like AIDS etc. I always get emotional seeing older LGBT people too because an entire generation of LGBT+ people were lost to the epidemic! There's a lot of movies/ books/ etc that bring awareness to it now, though.

Marsha P Johnson Movie GIF by Mic

I am so glad someone asked this question, I know I have felt this way in my life and it's something that really needs to be spoken about more. I attached the gif of Marsha Johnson - she was an amazing activist and paved the way for our rights. 

Do you have any advice for someone who is gay but also culturally diverse? I feel like I live in two different worlds

I wish there were a clear and easy map to navigate this, but I can assure you that there is plenty of hope. The world is changing, and queer people of colour are starting to be heard.

The first thing I'd say is - you are not alone; many of us have been on, and are on, this road with you.

The duality you refer to is a part of our experience. Many years ago a friend told me that being brown means leaving your gayness at the door, while being gay means leaving your brownness at the door. With family I have ‘friends’ and with friends I have ‘family’. These two realities don’t meet because they are abstract concepts to each other.

It can feel impossible to find your place in these two worlds, where you fit. Life can feel like one long compromise. If I want this, then I can’t be that. But this confusion is where your strength will come from. Because you are likely not going to fit neatly into a pre-existing space. The natural inclination is to want acceptance from these spaces, but really the acceptance we need is from ourselves to live in a new space that we are each carving, and that is where we belong. It is a difficult journey for all of us, but your strength is in your difference.

There is richness in who you are, and we are starting to see movies, shows, podcasts, books, art that reflect our unique experience. Read the books, watch the films, experience the art. Hear stories from people like you, and in the process of doing that you will find people like you in that new ground. And if you can't find stories like yours - write your own story. Break the ground. Right now your complexity may feel confusing, but it is rich and beautiful.

Finally, you’ll notice I’m anonymous while all my colleagues' responses include their names. This is a compromise I make for my family. Only you can decide what compromises are acceptable to you. Maybe you don’t want to compromise at all. That’s okay. Over time, you’ll make decisions about what compromises you’re willing and unwilling to make.

Take time, be kind to yourself, and listen to who you are.

- RO Staff Member 

Such beautiful words from that staff member @Bre-RO. Heart