cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: AMAA: LGBTIQA+ ReachOut Edition

@WheresMySquishy I agree, a very nuanced response and well put. It got me right in the feels. 

I don't think I know enough about the history or culture- but I think there's definitely been a lot more awareness in our society nowadays. Hearing about conversion therapy and that homosexuality used to be seen as a mental disorder makes me shudder Smiley Sad

(TW?) The other day I was watching a documentary about Ivan Milat (yes, kinda dark I know Smiley LOL) and these two girls went to court about him assaulting them and he got off because they were gay and the lawyer portrayed them out to just be 'confused' and therefore Milat wasn't guilty. What was also sad was that lawyer if I remember correctly was gay himself but hiding it Smiley Sad It just seems like prejudice and discrimination had infected every part of life. Things are better today, but still not 100%

Omg @Lost_Space_Explorer5 I heard that about Ivan Milat the other day and was dumbfounded! Thank goodness we have moved past times like that. 

Yes. a feel like a lot of accessible LGBT+ stories are eurocentric. From what I can see, for LGBT+ POC there can be even more discrimination + pressure from the individual's cultural community. Lovely words! Heart

@Lost_Space_Explorer5  Wow, I didn't know that! That's so unfair.
It kind of reminds me of the gay panic defence.

Definitely @Hozzles hopefully as our communities continue to grow we can create more space for those of us who are POC and LGTBIQA+ 

Pride Lgbt Sticker

This is such a relatable question and I think the response is on point. 

I've never been in a relationship but I think I'm bi. But then I get confused and don't know what to identify as. I don't feel like I belong to any community because I don't feel like I'm straight or gay. Do you have any advice about questioning your sexuality?

Offt this hit me! I am bi, but struggled for SO long trying to figure it out for many reasons. Tbh I still question my sexuality and my gender sometimes and that’s ok. 

The thing about being bi is that it IS super confusing because we live in a world that loves binaries and says you are either gay OR straight, male OR female. When you have a moment where you feel ‘gay’ and then another where you feel ‘straight’ it can get really confusing because you are trying to work out an impossible puzzle. When you are being forced to choose between things that can co-exist it gets very loud in your head. And if you have questions about your gender it gets even more muddy.

There is a cool definition of bisexuality that helps me by a bi woman named Robyn Occhs who says “I call myself bisexual because I acknowledge that I have in myself the potential to be attracted – romantically and/or sexually – to people of more than one gender, not necessarily at the same time, not necessarily in the same way, and not necessarily to the same degree.” 

This definition is cool because it includes any attraction, any of the time, to people of more than one gender, and that it can change! You don’t need to have had relationships to know if you are bi - it’s about how you choose to identify. Experiences can help some people work that out but at the end of the day I would listen to yourself and let that guide you. And know that you can change your mind at any time, and you don’t have to arrive at the ‘answer’. Some people will pressure you to identify or you might feel pressure so you can access a community but you can always change your mind and that’s totally valid. 

A place of real comfort came for me when I found the term 'queer' - this means anything that's not straight or cisgender. You could be any label in the LGBTQIA+ aconym (gay, bi, pan, lesbian, trans, non-binary) and be queer. Finding this term meant I felt comfortable accessing the 'queer community' rather than the 'lesbian community' or the 'bi community' before I was sure where I fit, it gave me space to figure it out on my own and meant I didn’t have to answer annoying/intrusive questions from people who were pressuring me to figure it out. I still use it now for the same reasons.

There are heaps of online resources that might be helpful - ReachOut has some great resources on being bi, Minus 18 have good explainers, and there are lots of great Insta and Tiktok accounts where you can find supportive community. 

Good luck! X

- Hilary, Research Team 

And the fact that LGBT+ marriage is still illegal in the majority of the world, and people can still be jailed or worse for being LGBT+... Smiley Sad. It used to make me sad that Australia took so long to bring in marriage equality!

Woah that was such an important issue and those are such strong words Heart There would be so much added pressure.. I totally agree with what you said about compromises

There's also asexual, which is no sexual attraction to any gender. I used to think I was ace for a while. It's completely valid + I love seeing the community becoming more visible!

But yes, it's so hard to know things you haven't experienced hahah. It makes me wonder how on Earth most people have it figured out so easily. Like, people have crushes in primary school. How do they know?!?! Smiley LOL