cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: AMAA: LGBTIQA+ ReachOut Edition

oh my, I hadn't heard of the gay panic defence Smiley Surprised @WheresMySquishy That's awful Smiley Sad

@Bre-RO  I really like what Hilary said about still questioning herself and that being okay.
I've faced a lot of stigma throughout my life, and sometimes I find myself wondering if my experiences are valid even if I've always maintained the same story.

I love seeing the asexual community become more visible too @Hozzles!
I really liked reading the kinds of experiences they had. That helped me be more sure of my sexuality.

Thank you for posting about the ace community and the flag. I love seeing more and more being able to share their experiences and it's so important for our community to create space for that! @Hozzles 

@WheresMySquishy I really like that Hilary said that as well. It's a natural thing that I'm sure we all do at some stage. It's nice to know that we have permission to have those thoughts and that it doesn't mean our experiences aren't valid. 

Oop I wonder who asked this question Smiley Tongue

Omg that quote helps so much and thanks for your answer! Queer seems like a good description when you can't find a label!

@Lost_Space_Explorer5 I looooved that quote as well. 

harvey milk lgbt GIF by GIPHY Studios Originals

Such an insightful response to this question! 

What are some issues affecting your community or people with a similar identity?

I think one of the huge issues affecting our community is that despite how much discrimination and oppression we may have faced as a group, we can still be perpetrators of oppression and we need to take responsibility for this. Sometimes I am truly astounded at how exclusive the LGBTQIA+ community can be in terms of racism, sexism, transphobia, biphobia, ableism, fatphobia - the list goes ON! And it’s just like .. wow how can we be so outspoken about our right to be who we are and so freely put others down for being themselves? It’s like we’ve fought so hard to have a community where we feel safe that we shut out other people who have just as much a right to be here.

I’m really upset by the blatant racism some of my friends who are queer people of colour experience on dating apps. I’m also really upset when certain queer spaces or feminist spaces have absolutely no understanding of gender diversity. I think that it’s everyone's responsibility to educate themselves about intersectionality and that being LGBTQIA+ impacts us all differently. I hope we’re able to do better to create a more inclusive community for everybody. 

@Hannah-RO, Community Team 

omg yes @Hozzles HOW did they know?! I still get confused Smiley LOL

Yeah it makes me sad that many parts of the world are still that way Smiley Sad And like even though we've got marriage equality now, it seems we still have a way to go. Also the fact we have marriage equality now makes me so happy Heart

Yes, so important to address the problems within the community. Being LGBT+ doesn't automatically make you a good person lol, I still see so much discrimination/ exclusion from within. Smiley Sad

@Bre-RO  YES. There is so much biphobia and transphobia, sadly. It can make it hard for people to feel a sense of belonging.