cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: AMAA: LGBTIQA+ ReachOut Edition

Hahaha @Lost_Space_Explorer5 I think on that note the next question will fit into this conversation really well. 

@Hozzles and yep you totally nailed it. Just because you are part of a minority does not mean that there is no room to grow and think of other groups in society. As @WheresMySquishy has said.. there is still work to do within the community and we shouldn't forget that. 

do you want to follow me gravity falls GIF

This can be a tricky one to figure out when dating! It can be hard to work out, so I think this is a great question many of us can learn something from. 

How do you know if someone you like might like you back?

This is a question I have asked myself a lot. If you are sexually and/or gender diverse it can be challenging to find out if someone likes you back. Here are some things that have helped me in the past.

• If they have made it clear that they are attracted to people who identify the same way as you. If you don’t know how they identify, don’t be afraid to ask, they will be honest if they are comfortable with you.
  •  If they seek out time to hang out with you one on one/prioritise catching up with you. Additionally, if they go out of their way to do something nice for you, for example, taking the time to help you out with something difficult, making you art or cooking something for you. 
  • If they want to show you something that gives them joy. For example, they want to take you to a place they like to visit or want you to try an activity they enjoy.
  • Depending on the person, they may initiate small signs of physical affection, e.g. hugging, intertwine arms/holding hands when walking etc. 
  • They enjoy hearing about you and what you’re passionate about. 

Most of these things are not unique to someone being interested in you romantically/sexually, however identifying these things may help you feel more confident to ask someone if they like you. I know that sounds scary but here are some tips to help: 

• When asking someone if they like you, it helps if you are in a comfortable environment where you can have a conversation just one on one (e.g. a picnic in a park, or sitting in a car). 
  • You can also ask them by messaging them but beware that when talking about something like this, tone is quite important and can sometimes be misinterpreted online. 
  • Before you ask them, think about how you would respond if they said yes/no. If they say they are interested in you, are you comfortable letting them know you like them too?

I encourage you to be vulnerable and honest, both with yourself and them.

- Sophia, Research Team 

This is so important. This is kind of minor, but sometimes I notice that people from the LGBTQIA+ sometimes make jokes about or exclude straight people and I know that compares nothing to the discrimination and hate they've experienced but it just feels sort of wrong... Like I don't know if I'm imagining this 'us vs them' mentality. Like why can't we all just be people looking out for each other Smiley Sad

omg thank you I needed this list of hints on how you might know Smiley LOL I feel like I'm blind to this stuff

@Lost_Space_Explorer5 Me too. I'm oblivious 

@Lost_Space_Explorer5  Haha, I totally feel that mentality sometimes. I think it's important to remember that sometimes it can be unintentional. Sometimes, we discuss certain things forgetting that there are straight people in the room or in our group who feel like we're on a totally different planet. Smiley LOL

This is so helpful, haha. I feel for myself, and I know that a lot of other people feel the same way, that once you discover you are LGBT+ it's like living through puberty/ teenage years all over again. Recently I've been through the pain of liking someone for a few months, and debating whether she liked me back... turns out she has a partner but is still a great friend (I think I'd prefer friends at this point in my life, anyway)! It's best to just ask, as painful as it is hahah.

@WheresMySquishy hahah so true. It's funny how sometimes LGBT+ people sometimes find each other, unknowingly. Like all of my friends were 'straight' in high school but now we're all LGBT+ except for one (as of now... just kidding, of course! Smiley LOL)

@Hozzles @WheresMySquishy @hunginc @Lost_Space_Explorer5 I thought Sophia nailed this response Smiley Happy 

omg that is totally something I would do @Hozzles Smiley LOL It's the not knowing and not being able to ask. I'm sort of in a similar situation of not knowing if I like this person or if she likes me back and I've just given up because I don't think I would be ready for that at the moment anyway Smiley Indifferent