cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: AMAA: With Saltwaterdreamtime

@lost_Space_Explorer5 it took a lot of effort, and I mean a lot. I couldn’t find out from parents so I literally started at 0 information

I think that’s one thing that frustrates me as an adult, i think we could be and we should be doing more in schools, watching rabbit proof fence once a year isn’t sufficient, I mean, don’t get me wrong, great movie, but you can do better

@Saltwaterdreamtime I've been thinking about that SO much recently. Australia has such a rich history yet I hardly remember practically anything from Australian history classes that wasn't about European colonization Smiley Sad

I also feel like it's a common experience to not be able to identify your heritage until later on. I've known a few people with similar stories. Smiley Sad

Thanks for sharing that @Saltwaterdreamtime it's cool to be able to see it on a map! It's so deeply messed up how basic the education about indigenous culture is in schools - it's truly not enough.

It's really incredible that you've been able to learn about your culture as an adult, it's amazing that you started with 0 information! I'd love to know the answer to our next question...

3. What are some things that make you proud to be an Arrernte man?

I can imagine it would have been so hard as a lot of culture was lost in the stolen generation? How did you manage to find some answers?

I agree with you @Saltwaterdreamtime. I think Indigenous culture should be covered more in schools.

I spoke to lots of people @lost_space_explorer5 lots and lots of people, I hit a lot of dead ends but I found one person and sometimes that’s all you need. I had a staff member at uni come into contact with me, I’m actually not sure how it came about, maybe through mental health support I was seeking at the time and it turned out it was kind of their job to help people with that stuff.

I feel like they neglected to mention a lot of stuff in school- like the massacres of Aboriginal people Smiley Sad I agree about rabbit proof fence

I agree. I find it more than a little disappointing that there is little taught to young people in schools about indigenous culture and history considering how important it is in our country's history. I understand that there was not much documented indigenous history from ancient times but I still feel that more should be done to educate on indigenous culture here in Australia. 

Woah that's awesome they had a staff member devoted to helping people reconnect @Saltwaterdreamtime It sound like you put in so so much effort to get where you are now, that would have taken a lot of determination and resilience