cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: AMAA: With Saltwaterdreamtime

It is time for our next question! It's a bit of a big one...

4. What have you learned from your life experiences? It could be something you've learned about yourself or about the world.

school education GIF by SoulPancake

@Saltwaterdreamtime It always makes me so hopeful for the future seeing young people advocating for themselves, doing what they love + working towards a better future!

So true @Hozzles me too!

4. What have you learned from your life experiences? It could be something you've learned about yourself or about the world.

This question!!

My big take away.... you can make it even if you hit barriers. I think prime example here is finding out about my background despite never having an opportunity to do so as a kid. But I also mean in general. I own my own business, I work, have a family, and I’m really happy, but I had a A LOT against me. If somebody had told me even 5 years ago that I would be here now I would have laughed. 10 years ago... yeah I would have done much worse than just laugh at you. And I was told that too, I wouldn’t do anything when I grew up, I was a trouble maker, I couldn’t do anything, I was a screw up, unnecessary/ a distraction, and that wasn’t from family that was teachers and things like that. I won’t go into my family. Looking back, I can kind of see why, I was.... um I think these days they call those kids “a little lost”. 

Also, my other big learning. Family can mean blood, but it doesn’t have to. I have family relayed to by blood that I love, and I’m immensely proud of, and they have my back, but I also have blood family that I never want to see again. But I have people in my life that are not related to me by blood and they are also my family, well and truly family to me, without a doubt. 

@Hozzles for sure!
It is so encouraging.

"You can make it even if you hit barriers" is such an important message of hope, that i think we all need to hear sometimes. And I couldn't agree more about family. Thank you so much for sharing those learnings with us @saltwaterdreamtime, and for so clearly living them <3

@Saltwaterdreamtime completely agree with everything you've shared in this question! I'm so proud of you for being able to share your experiences! Smiley HappyHeart

What you said about family is so true @Saltwaterdreamtime. It can be a real struggle to find people who are supportive of you, even if they are your family. A lot of people don't understand that family members can be toxic or unsupportive if they haven't experienced something like that themselves. I'm glad that you've managed to find people who really have your back. Smiley Happy

I mean.... talk about having family not related to by blood. I have a 3 year old, a partner, and also two “adults” (I put that in quotations marks because it feels weird to call them adults when I am too) that looked after me when I was younger and now I go to when I need them for things, and with them they bring their own kids and their grandkids. They are my family. None of them are related to me my blood. None of those people I just mentioned.

Here comes our next question specifically about NAIDOC week, and here's a pic of this years poster Smiley Very Happy

5. What does NAIDOC week mean to you?

2020 NAIDOC Week Poster Winner 'Shape of Land' Tyrown Waigana