cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: AMAA: With Saltwaterdreamtime

That is a really good takeaway @Saltwaterdreamtime. Sometimes it might feel like there's no chance to get where you want to be, especially if people who know you tell you that you won't make it.. but having the strength to keep going after hitting obstacles is incredible. I'm glad you've gotten to where you are now in life and I hope I can have the same strength. 

Thanks @WheresMySquishy like I said, some of my blood family I haven’t spoken to in a long time and I don’t want to, and that’s ok because I have other people I call family.

What an important message- You get to choose your family

@Saltwaterdreamtime  That reminds me of one of our friends. She and her family arrived in Australia as refugees. A kind couple took in a lot of refugees, including them, and helped them out with money and property. They still kept in touch as adults and she considered them her foster grandparents. It's amazing that compassionate people like that exist and I'm glad they looked after you.

5. What does NAIDOC week mean to you?

Well well well, apart from my birthday week isn’t it just the greatest week of the year. It means I get to really show off one of the things that matters most to me and teach people things they didn’t know before. It’s a time for learning not just teaching other people too. Today I learnt that one of my good friends has an art studio and sells Indigenous art, and I’m going to go visit sometime soon. I had no idea!! I played footy with this guy. 
it’s a time for reflection, what can we as a country do better to recognise AND RESPECT the nations first people. 

Thank you for sharing that story @WheresMySquishy, I think that is such a great example of the message <3

That’s an awesome story @WheresMySquishy

I’m glad they looked after me too @WheresMySquishy because they found me just at the time I mentioned before when I was “a little lost” as I put it. And even though I didn’t recognise it at the time they did a lot for me, a lot more than my family ever did. Without them maybe I would have fulfilled the poor expectations my teachers had of me.

How cool to learn that about your friend @Saltwaterdreamtime ! And we're so grateful to be here learning from you tonight and learning from each other Heart 

I love this: it’s a time for reflection, what can we as a country do better to recognise AND RESPECT the nations first people.

So basically... they gave me a real big kick up the bum. And they still do on occasion.