cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: AMAA: With Saltwaterdreamtime

This is a great Q that is unfortunately probably relevant to many, I’m sure lots of people on the forum are very keen to hear your thoughts on this one @Saltwaterdreamtime 

6. How do you talk to people in your life who hold racist thoughts? There are some in my family and i really don't know how to approach them without it ending up in a fight.

6. How do you talk to people in your life who hold racist thoughts? There are some in my family and i really don't know how to approach them without it ending up in a fight.

This is great question. I have encountered racism from friends, past work colleagues, the public, opponents in sport. It’s the same old thing, if it’s not name calling it’s comments like “how much money did you get for being aboriginal today” or “did you get into tafe because you are aboriginal it’s not free for us white people.” You know, the classics. 
I just respond with facts.
“Sure, there may be scholarships for Indigenous people to receive higher education but this is why... (insert your research here)” 

if you can be factual and get your point across without stooping to their level it helps. Some people just do not know. It’s unfortunate and sometimes isn’t their fault. It’s the system that has failed them, and hasn’t taught them the correct information. It becomes racist when they don’t want to learn that information or ignore it. 
I felt this way during the BLM rallies. I got called all sorts of names online. And I was shocked. I got told my opinion didn’t matter... and I said hold up... you are telling a black person that their opinion on a matter affecting black people doesn’t matter!? That’s not ok. 
And they responded with hate, again. 
I threw out the facts. I told them why advocating for communities is great, but why they need to consult that community before they speak on their behalf. 

I also, stand tall and be proud.
You can call me names and sometimes it hurts. But are you a part of the longest living culture in the world!? No, didn’t think so. Sit down.

I have also heard people say those sorts of comments @Saltwaterdreamtime. They're so horrible. Smiley Sad I'm sorry you have to deal with so much racism.

That is absolutely disgusting what people say, and so incredible of you to be the bigger person not stooping to their level. I think throw facts at them is a really good tip thanks @saltwaterdreamtime!

Also, when I meant advocating for communities I meant any community, that could be people with a disability, a cultural group, a physical community. Anything. Consultation is everything. And maybe I change that from advocacy to “working with”.

Such a great question! It can be really hard to try and get your point across, sometimes. A go-to favourite from my family is 'I was just raised in a different time'. Yes... but actually, there was never a 'time' for racism? Smiley Sad

I'm sorry you've encounted all that @Saltwaterdreamtime, comments like that are never okay. Smiley Sad

"are you a part of the longest living culture in the world!? No, didn’t think so. Sit down" 

Oh my god LOVE IT so much. Amazing @Saltwaterdreamtime.

Also 100% to what you said about community working with communities! Consultation IS everything.

Time for our next question!

7. What can you tell us about living on Wadawurrung country and/or the first people of that area?

@Saltwaterdreamtime 100% agree with you on that. I will never understand people creating programs/events/ etc for people but not actually consulting the people who the program/event/etc is for. Smiley Mad

@Hozzles times are a changing! It’s 2020 folks. I mean, in 1967 wasn’t even classed human so, let’s not be stuck in them old times.