Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Advocacy - Ask a Pro Live with Bre August 29th 2019

@Hozzles thank you! Heart

Those are some really good tips @Bre-RO! Smiley Happy

@Bre-RO wow, it sounds like being informed, and knowing what support's out there to help you, both play a huge role in advocating for yourself and other people! 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We had a live chat on Accessing Mental Health Support Online! Smiley Very Happy Check it out here! Heart

Some really great tips there @Bre-RO 

It is so true that advocating for yourself can be really difficult. I know a lot of our community have spoken about how it can be a struggle to advocate for themselves with professionals especially mental health professionals, so these tips will really come in handy! I really love your tip about having support, having someone in your corner can make all the difference in getting your voice heard! There are lots of advocacy groups out there that can help with this too, as we know it can sometimes be difficult to always have a support person with you.

@ecla34 Knowing what support is out there is huge! I'll be posting some links later to sites that have search engines for advocacy services Smiley Happy

@Claire-RO I know lots of people struggle with advocating for yourself to mental health professionals. It can be especially hard when it took all the energy in your body to get to an appointment just to be questioned or tested. Advocacy groups are a great go too!

@Bre-RO you have shared some amazing insights and tips, it would be great to hear about some changes you have seen due to young people raising their voice and advocating for themselves or something they're passionate about?

@Bre-RO that really reminds me of what you said about knowing your rights and entitlements. I feel like lots of people here on RO have struggled with their experiences with mental health professionals in a way that's left them disempowered rather than the opposite Smiley Sad Advocacy groups are something I haven't heard a lot about unfortunately, are there any ones you know of in particular for mental health? Or for young people in general? Heart

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We had a live chat on Accessing Mental Health Support Online! Smiley Very Happy Check it out here! Heart

Thank you!

Advocating for something you're passionate about can be a really empowering experience. It is a great feeling to achieve a desired outcome for yourself or for someone else. Young people that I've worked with who have successfully advocated for better care/treatment/housing etc develop confidence in their ability to care for themselves - which is really powerful. 

On a larger scale, I think about all the young people that strike for climate change! That is a form of political advocacy that makes me so proud that there are generations of young people who want to address such a social issue. 

@Bre-RO that does sounds really awesome, like putting some of the control back into the hands of people who've been shoved to the sidelines Heart Heart