cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Ask A Pro Live: Bi-Visibility

yes great that's another common Myth, apparently we are all really wanting to end up with men!!

Wow, it would be so hard to constantly have to come out and justify your sexuality over and over again. It sounds exhausting and it just highlights how important it is for the wider LGBTIQA+ community to be inclusive. 

Sending lots of solidarity and strength to the Bi community Heart 

Stay Strong GIF by memecandy

Oh, and I've also seen the myth that bi people can't attend pride if their partner is the opposite sex. What the?! Even allies can attend pride, the gatekeeping is ridiculous!

I never knew that bi people experience higher levels of poor mental health, though it does make a lot of sense. When you come out, you expect to be welcomed into a vibrant community that accepts you no matter what -- but due to stereotypes and these myths, that can be hard. Smiley Sad

Thank you and it seems that there are such great political and compassionate minds on here so lets spread the positive bi-vibes!!

@Hozzles  Pride should be for everyone. It should be a celebration of the whole community.
I think that kind of discrimination can really affect people and make them feel like they're not welcome. Smiley Sad

very true, i have been involved in putting together a number of bi-community spaces, and Bi people are very anxious about bring along their partner if they are of the opposite gender....the fear that this makes us less queer!!

@Hozzles wow seriously..?

Damn... that sucks..

@AnthonyBisexual We have a question that I'm really glad someone from the community asked, as it's something many members come to the forums to ask. 

What advice would you give people who think they may be bi?

Ok, this is a good question. If you have a close friend you can trust to share something sensitive with and you can trust that they will offer care and understanding then start there! But because I don't know how people might respond, sometimes friends and family can respond in a not-so-good way, I would say, also consider reaching out to a queer therapist and community group (there is a few bi+ community Facebook groups based in Victoria, NSW, WA and QLD. These spaces are full of Bi+ people and their allies and always very keen to offer support and a space to reflect together, without telling you what to do or what to be

Good advice. Telling people you think will support you is key Heart 

We had another similar question and would love to get your thoughts. I've seen members come to the forums in this situation before and it would be so tough to navigate this situation. 

Do you have any advice for a person who realises they're bi while in a committed relationship (that they don't want to end)?