cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Ask A Pro Live: Emotions

Can't wait for this chat! Smiley Happy Sounds like a great topic!

ready here we go GIF

And we are live! Let's get into this! We've got so many thought provoking questions tonight but to start off I just want to thank you @GuestPsychologist for joining us again, it's a pleasure having you with us live. 

First questions first:

What are emotions?

Welcome @WheresMySquishy !!

Scientists argue about emotions all the time - but here's my view;
What are emotions?
• emotions arise from activity in distinct regions of the brain. I could be cheeky and say they are EVERYTHING (in a good way) – but yes they are almost everything – it would be near impossible to survive without them. Fear keeps us safe and alive (though too much fear/anxiety is tough to manage). Anger can help us defend ourselves and our rights. The highs and lows of happiness and sadness allows us to feel all that we as human animals can feel. The middle ground of ‘feeling alright’ gets us through the day.
• Hormones affect our emotions.
• Stepping in dog poo affects our emotions
• Talking to rude people or nice people affects them too.
• WE, yes WE can have a big influence on other people’s emotions by deciding how we interact with other people/animals.

@GuestPsychologist  I also agree that seemingly 'negative' emotions can be helpful, and we can also influence other people's emotions. Smiley Happy

great to be here again folks and see some familiar and new folks!

its a big one!

Totally agree that all of our feelings have a profound impact on us and how we interact with the world!!

This is basically me but I'm totally cool with it - 

mean girls feelings GIF

for sure - you are right 'seemingly negative' - we will touch in stigma later!
emoting are just emotions not + or - they just are - and they just are a part of being human

I agree we can influence others emotions but can't cause someone to feel a particular way. I find it's better to say "when you did this I felt this" rather than "you made me feel X"