cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Ask A Pro Live: Emotions

hehe I always play games with emotions... people say I'm good at hiding my emotions sometimes

It is up to us. I think to a very large extent we can control emotions. Some of us are better than others at it.
We don’t have much power to choose emotions but we have LOTS of power to control them. I get really angry and frustrated at my 6-year-old at times but she hardly ever sees that anger/annoyance. While I feel like swearing out loud and s – I never do – yes never – because I know it is wrong so I choose to control my anger. It takes patience and practise. Emotions are neither good or bad – they just are. How we use them or ignore them is very important though, as is controlling and understanding them.

This question also relates to an interesting talking point: Whether or not we agree that other people can or can not affect our emotions. As I said above people influence each others emotions but I believe nobody has the power to control our emotions. Our emotions are our responsibility, and we should not give anyone the power to control our emotions, you know to make you happy or sad for example. Someone could do or say something that triggers some sadness or anger but we then have the choice to react further. We can CHOOSE whether someone’s actions or words will CONTINUE to affect us or not. “words will never hurt me” springs to mind.

people say I'm really bad at hiding my emotions haha @Lost_Space_Explorer5 

it gets me into a lot of trouble though, I don't want to hide my emotions! It's just what I've learnt to do

Yes - I'm pretty good at showing my emotions too - see what i did there? Smiley Happy

I'd worry that if I constantly repressed anger I would lose it eventually.. Do you have an outlet to put your anger into @GuestPsychologist?

Haha kids can make you so frustrated @GuestPsychologist. I used to get so annoyed at the family members I care for. Smiley LOL
You're so right that we can choose how to react to other people.

for sure - we need to get good at deciding what to share and how to share emotions - not everything needs to be shared.

I wish I was good at showing my emotions- I feel like people would trust me more. But like it feels like I'm always sad so showing that would feel like I'm being a burden