cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Ask A Pro Live: Emotions

great question - if anger is repressed we usually explode later - not a good plan - release it slowly and carefully like unscrewing the cap of a shaken up coke bottle..that might mean writing it down or talking calmly about the issue with someone

Mmm very true @GuestPsychologist with lots of practice and patience with ourselves, I agree that we can learn healthy ways of dealing with our emotions - and as you said they are neither "good" or "bad" - it's really what we chose to do with them. 

@Lost_Space_Explorer5 sounds like you've worked out a way to not let your emotions out, but as you said I think it's finding out healthy outlets. It's okay that you haven't mastered the art of handling emotions, I think it takes time as Joe said. 

I'm doing a therapy that's supposed to help with it though so maybe one day I can get better

sport is always the best outlet for me especially physical sport - but i've been real slack lately - THATS GOTTA CHANGE! i also relax with a guitar

Practice and patience is such a good quote from today - already - we are only two questions in! We can all take something from that Heart 

Let's get into the next question! 

What do you wish more people understood about emotions?

distracting yourself when angry is good, as is checking in to see if you are over-thinking things. The issues usually get resolved in time - so patience is key, but hard to remember

thats a good point - but finding someone safe to talk about sadness is important - especially if you are always sad. Showing emotions takes courage and practise

@GuestPsychologist  Sometimes I try to see if I am mistaking my emotions for being facts and try to think of something in a more objective way. Smiley Happy

that's a good tip @WheresMySquishy

The therapy is called RO-DBT in case anyone is interested! Smiley Tongue