cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Ask A Pro Live: Emotions

Understanding your emotions and thoughts means you understand yourself.
If you cant understand yourself it is very difficult to manage yourself.
We need to manage ourselves for our wellbeing and for the wellbeing of others. For the past few days I’ve felt lots of anxiety across my chest. I wasn’t sure why. I just named in anxiety and expected that it would pass. Maybe it was as simple as I needing much more sleep and plenty more exercise. We need to understand that strong emotions are just passing through. When we experience difficult emotions it is important to remember they are temporary and that “this too shall pass”. Most things are temporary especially if you are young and growing and changing and maturing.

Hey guys sorry couldn’t make it tonight I wanted to but now we are knee deep in iso haircuts here... 😳 

Feeling: scared

haha kidding.... but seriously. 

it sounds like you do well by stepping back from our thoughts and emotions and trying to put a bit of distance between 'us' and 'them'. By doing that we reduce their strength which is good if we are suffering with tough emotions.

Love that - another thing I remind myself of when emotions are really overwhelming is: 

Pepzicles positive tspp GIF

hahahaha @Saltwaterdreamtime too funny 

I think I have done an online course in something similar @Lost_Space_Explorer5. It had a lot of helpful acronyms and coping strategies for regulating emotions, as well as what to say to yourself when you're feeling bad.

good to hear from you again!

well done! education is key in all this - which is what we are doing tonight i guess - just trying to pick up tips

Thank you to the user who shared this question with us, I think everyone at some stage can relate to the question which is why it's so important that brave people like yourself ask it! Over to you @GuestPsychologist 

I really struggle with talking about how I'm feeling. I can't identify emotions very well. Do you have any advice?

This is courageous thank you, you managed to talk about how you are feeling now. I’m curious if you know when you are happy, sad, angry, mad, frustrated, I could go on...there are lots of feelings/emotions.
Identifying the emotions is the first thing before we can even think about talking about them. Talk about them with yourself first. Get literate with emotions – they are our allies, our friends. Knowing them keeps us safe – ignoring them can cause problems.
Look at emotions in a positive way if you can. They are sending us messages to help us get better.
Maybe it is easier to talk about them with certain people. If family is hard, maybe friends, teachers, professionals. If you think you need to talk about them - you probably do. It helps