cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Ask A Pro Live: Emotions

I have also seen these kinds of pictures floating around this year:

2019TeacherTruths-Autosaved

I guess maybe some things that are out of our control are impossible to forget so the best we can do is accept (but not approve of). I've found 'worry time' is very helpful because it can teach you that you're actually in control of your worries and exposes you to them

Yes pain and physical elation and everything in between. Our minds, bodies and emotional systems are totally connected and integrated. There is no body-mind divide. The past few days I felt my anxiety as a tightness and nervousness PHYSICALLY in my chest. When I am angry I feel my heart racing and almost my ‘blood boiling’ as adrenaline flows fast and my temperature rises. When I’m content or happy or laughing the good hormones like dopamine flow and I’m much more relaxed and fun. So yes emotions cause physical pain and cause physical improvements too.

That control thing is interesting. I think maybe when people feel out of control they can try and control other things that can sometimes be harmful or unhelpful (e.g. TW trying to control weight, using SH to cope, etc.). So it's not only about directing our control but in a way that's not going to be detrimental!

that's a fascinating question! i personally think contentment is good. It is not painful. I'll take a risk here and say if you dont know what you want why not try out contentment until you figure out if you want something else. I'm not saying it is easy to be content - it will take some work. I'm not content a lot of the time - its my goal though.

It is really hard to forget certain worries and things that are out of our control @Lost_Space_Explorer5 I often have moments of feeling so upset that I can't see my interstate family and find that hard to forget about. But then I try to remind myself that it doesn't mean forever and when I do see them it will be sooo elating!

I think that's so true @GuestPsychologist. I know that with my sister, when she is in a bad mood her chronic pain gets worse and her pain can also make her feel low. I have seen some strategies that suggest recognising the physical sensations of anxiety and other emotions.

exactly and reminds us that our worries are ours and our responsibility

@GuestPsychologist so true - emotions can cause physical pain as well as improvements. I think I forget sometimes that emotions don't just cause tension, that they also can make you feel on top of the world.

that's really hard @Bre-RO Smiley Sad It's true though, it's definitely not forever. Have you been able to stay in touch over video calls, mail, etc.?