cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Ask A Pro Live: Life after Social Isolation

@GuestPsychologist it totally is! I must admit sometimes the word 'mindfulness' has a strong negative effect on me because a lot of people misunderstand and misuse it! It's not about eliminating the stress/anxiety/etc, it's about acknowledging it (and everything else!). 

@GuestPsychologist  yeah we have really seen another side to the media during this time, both good and bad... i think a lot could be improved on and called into question regarding how they report certain things!

Great to have you here tonight @Saltwaterdreamtime  - I've delegated the 7pm chaos to my other half so you have my sympathy! Hope you can come back and check out the rest of the chat later on Smiley Happy 

Check out our community activities calendar here

absolutely! - often we run away from shitty scary feelings....but they dont go away - so with ACT and other therapies we try to learn - hey stop fighting these shit feelings - just feel them - they will not kills us - they will go away - they are just feeling and just thoughts - feel them ..name them..then watch them drift off...give up that battle of pushing them away

The media tend to be so bias sometimes that some people only consume the news they want to hear and ignore everything else (e.g. some people only listen to the conspiracy theories, others only listen to the awful statistics). Just getting the info you need to know and moving on is probably the best option right now! Smiley Sad

That's so true @Hozzles. Some people think of people who practice mindfulness as zombie-like but I personally don't think that's the case. I did an online mindfulness course recently and a lot of the meditations were focused on sitting with adversity and negative feelings and acknowledging them rather than trying to change them. I've heard that some people try to imagine their negative feeling as like a wave that will carry them to shore rather than trying to fight against it.

I know the feeling – I also lack motivation now. When I don’t go for a run it is because I am lazy. I talk myself out of it, but never regret it once I have done it. Team sports I cant do as they are cancelled. Can you consider other hobbies ? Lacking motivation is to be expected but be careful with it, as sometime it could indicate depression. Some mild or moderate depression is expected for most people right now but if it gets more serious and you cant get out of bed any day then it is necessary to get help from a therapist.

We can leave the house to exercise so going for walks is fine – try to do that as a minimum.

How do I get back into my hobbies if I lack the motivation? 

Good question Smiley Happy I think it’s important to stay with hobbies/sports as much as you can while in quarantine or while things are shut down so it’s easier when you get back into it. Like for me being a gymnast I still kept up with strength and flexibility and doing things that I was able to do at home. But I think when I fell out of old hobbies while I was in lockdown, it was important for me to ease back into things 

we have just watched @Saltwaterdreamtime take a break - it can be done!

Sorry guys , this thread is running so fast it's hard to keep up, love it! Joe's @GuestPsychologist  answer above was to our first question from the community - How do I get back into my hobbies if I lack the motivation? 

Check out our community activities calendar here