cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Ask A Pro Live: Life after Social Isolation

How do I get back into my hobbies if I lack the motivation? 

I've been just trying to do the things make me feel good, but like not in my bedroom- trying to discover and rediscover different places in my home and backyard, so that I can avoid being stuck at my desk, in my room, for 9 hours a day.

So true @GuestPsychologist ! Going for walks has been a lifesaver for me, it's sometimes hard to get myself out the door and moving but I never regret it! 

I think a lot of people will be able to relate to this question:

What would be your number one tip for dealing with isolation? How do you cope with cabin fever and being under-stimulated because of your environment?

Isolation Tanks Company GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Check out our community activities calendar here

great advice - waves carrying you to shore or shit feelings that just splash off you like a wave but don't stay there. ACT is full of little anecdotes / analogies like that

Oh wait @Janine-RO  are these questions just for @GuestPsychologist  to answer or do we answer them or? I’m so sorry I feel so silly..

I am a bit rebellious while being careful of course!

My number 1 tip would be to find safe ways to avoid isolation. In Australia we have always been allowed out to exercise apart from the recent hard lockdown in 9 housing towers in Melbourne, when people could not leave their homes at all. That is really tough.

I’m an extrovert – I like being around people a lot. I’ve really struggled with isolation. I still go out of the house daily. I live in NSW so we have always been able to exercise, go to a café etc. So if you are allowed out – go out – use a mask, meet people but stay socially distanced. We all need to take responsibility and not pass on the virus to anyone especially the old and vulnerable. Use video, whatsapp or other tools. My parents live overseas I’ve been using video with them for years – it’s my only option.

How do I get back into my hobbies if I lack the motivation?
I've just been trying to do a bit every day and try to replace the things I can't do with other things. It's hard because a lot of events I used to look forward to, such as concerts and going to the cinema, have been restricted. But I wrote down all the games that are coming out so that I will have something to look forward to.

Heya @Bananatime04 , definitely no need to feel silly, and it's great to hear everyone' s input on the questions, it's a conversation after all Smiley Happy 

Check out our community activities calendar here

thats a clever approach - you are taking control and listing the things you can do. its surprising how powerful putting a pen to paper can be, you are the boss!

the best answers tonight are not coming from me - we are all trying to figure this time out! thank you all!

personally i have really struggled with these changes so i know i will get a good lift and inspiration for all of you online tonight - TY!