cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Ask A Pro Live: Life after Social Isolation

some great ideas there - i hope your family and you are ok. its time to think outside th box and try new things if we can.

@Janine-RO  I love that gif! Smiley LOL

QLD is the same - we all miss face to face - I HATE IT!

this is trick because sometimes our friends if we have them are quite different - 

Do you still chat online, video? We do need to try stay connected. Humans are built for that connection – it keeps us well. We are social animals even those more introverted.

Try staying in touch on socials and video more so. It is so good to see people on video calls. When isolation ends adjustment may be challenging – though we adjust all the time, and we will get there. Imagine there will be a time hopefully soon when there is a vaccine and we will all look back with relief that we all got through this. So take some caution and we will.

I think it's best to emphasize that it's unlikely everything will return to normal -- but that may not be such a bad thing! There might be an increased understanding in mental health within the general public (e.g. people who may not have experienced poor mental health may now know the importance of coping strategies, etc). The rush to develop online alternatives means programs/ uni/ etc is more accessible for people who can't travel. 

@Hozzles yes i agree 100%- and that's actually a good thing- there are some things about the world that need to change so things like this don't occur again

absolutely correct - it is likely there will be many changes going forward that last. Commuting to CBDs may be finished for many that can work from home. Hospitality in the CBDs will suffer but outer suburb cafes and restaurants will do ok as people will be nearby....there are positives. 

How do you cope with people who do not want to leave isolation? I have friends who I think I will probably not see much of anymore because of their anxiety of returning to normal Smiley Sad
Aww, that's sad! Smiley Sad I guess we just have to acknowledge and accept people's wishes, and let them make their own decisions. I can personally see some benefits of being in isolation. I hope employers will be more accepting of people working from home in the future, especially carers and people who find it hard to leave the house due to health problems. I've tried to stay in touch with people through other means, such as video calls.

I think that is such an important point @Hozzles !! I really hope that we can carry the lessons we've learned from this time on into the future. 

In fact, that feeds perfectly into the next question we had for @GuestPsychologist  - 

Do you think there will be some positive aspects to come out of isolation? e.g. greater public understanding of mental health.

Check out our community activities calendar here

big time!