Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Ask A Pro Live: Opening Up To Parents

Hi @Janine-RO @Hannah-RO!
So excited for this chat! Smiley Happy

Hey @WheresMySquishy ! We're excited too! Cat Very HappyCat Very Happy

Thanks @Hannah-RO , I'm really excited to be here! 

Without sounding cheesy, there are honestly so many things I love about being a mum. I read a quote once that said that having children is like having a piece of your heart permanently walking around outside your body, and that really is what it feels like. I feel so incredibly lucky to get to parent two small humans and watch them grow and change every day. It can sometimes be a total rollercoaster, especially in the early days when I was a sole parent to a newborn, but I wouldn't change a thing. Also very funny at times hearing your own words directed back at you from a small person! 

Check out our community activities calendar here

And yeah, it's really impossible to pick one favourite thing - it's so many tiny moments. Seeing them learn something new,  my daughter cooked dinner all by herself the other night which was bloody amazing! Seeing them change before your eyes, and laughing more than I ever have in my life. Toddlers: especially hilarious. I also love revisiting things I loved from my childhood with them - lots of trips to the zoo, and bushwalks, and favourite stories. 

Aww, that's a really nice way of thinking about it @Janine-RO. Smiley Happy
Kids say the funniest things too! Smiley LOL

@WheresMySquishy  totally! My daughter used to think "bossy boots" was "bossy boobs" for some reason, and would indignantly tell me her boobs were not bossy (?!!) at aged 3... she also memorably yelled to me when I dropped her off to preschool one day "Have a good day mummy! And I hope your pimple gets better. It's REALLY BIG!!!" 

(To be fair, it was)

What a gorgeous answer @Janine-RO , maybe feels a bit like this?

Children Parenting GIF

I love that "a piece of your heart walking around outside you" Heart Also go your daughter for cooking dinner!!! And yes @WheresMySquishy kids are HILARIOUS Cat LOL I'm honestly losing it at "bossy boobs" !

Time for a NEW Q ! 

Let's talk about talking about stuff! The next Q is...

How can we start a conversation about mental health/ How can we start a conversation

about something important we would like our parents/guardians/carers to know about?

Awwh @Janine-RO, what did your daughter cook? Hehe, looking after kids seems like it would be the best excuse to go to all those fun places Smiley Tongue

That's so funny! Smiley LOL My sister used to say and do similar things and embarrass my mum.

Thanks Hannah - I think this is SUCH an important question. 

First, I just want to acknowledge that every family, and every family dynamic , is different, and there’s no one size fits all kind of advice for all of this stuff. But there are a few things that might help to  make those  conversations go more smoothly.

• Firstly, it can be a really good idea to think about exactly what you want to say before you have the conversation- and even make some notes. Or if you really don’t think the conversation will go well and you want to make sure you get across everything you want to say, you could try writing a letter or an email.
  • They may not always understand exactly what depression or anxiety is – so one good idea can be to focus on the specific impact it’s been having on you, e.g. I’ve been feeling so anxious I can’t focus on my school work, or I’m feeling really depressed and I’m finding it really hard to get out of bed in the mornings. You may need to be a little bit assertive if you feel like they’re minimising what you’re saying – and focus on the fact that you don’t want to feel this way, and think you need some help
  • . It can also help to share information for them to check out about mental health – ReachOut Parents has some great information that’s really clear and easy to understand and it’s designed for parents, to help them understand what their kids might be going through.  We also have a Parents forum that they can check out if they’re interested in hearing from other parents – that can help a lot in helping them to work through their initial reactions.
  • If you think it will help you, practice  what you’re going to say with a friend or counsellor – I know when I have had to have really difficult conversations with my parents in the past, rehearsing it a bit helped a lot.
  • Pick a good time that works for your family!! Let them know in advance that you’d like to have a chat to them about something, and choose a time when people are likely to be able to give it their full attention.  I know that in my family it’s sometimes easier to talk about stuff when we’re doing something like having a walk, or cooking together – or maybe your family likes to chill out together on a Sunday night. Whatever works for you.