cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Ask A Pro Live: Opening Up To Parents

I also wanted share this awesome article from our content team on 6 tips for talking to your parents about mental health – there’s a heap of really clear and practical tips there! From a parent’s perspective, I can honestly say that I would do anything humanly possible to support my kids, but I also don’t always get it right the first time. If your parents don’t respond the way you were hoping, they may just need more time, or you may need to lean on other people in your life for support . Parents may also be struggling with their own mental health- but hopefully seeing you being really open and honest about where you’re at could also be a really valuable lesson for them, and encourage them to get help for themselves.

I’d love to know what people have tried that’s worked for them talking to their parents too!!

Check out our community activities calendar here

You're totally right @Lost_Space_Explorer5 ! I used to go to the zoo with my younger cousin all the time and i'm still like "um... wanna go to the zoo?!" And she's like "uhh.... i'm 17 now..."

But come on who doesn't love the zoo?! 

@Lost_Space_Explorer5  she did spaghetti and meatballs, in a slow cooked sauce that simmered for 2 hours, she did everything from scratch and it was amazing! Also have to admit that she's known how to make a proper coffee on our espresso machine thingy for 2 years or so, one of our better parenting hacks that one Smiley Wink

I think those are some good ideas @Janine-RO! Smiley Happy I think you're right that a lot of parents don't really understand much about mental health conditions, or even physical health conditions. I'm constantly having to explain things about my symptoms to my parents and they're in the medical profession. Sometimes, they don't get why I'm able to do a certain thing (usually to do with my vision) on one day or time, but can't do it at other times. My mum also thinks my restless legs syndrome is 'just a cramp'. Smiley LOL I think a lot of parents also think about other people who have had the same conditions when everyone's symptoms are different.

Thanks for that @Janine-RO, some amazing tips in there! 

NEW Q TIME!

This is a great question, V keen to hear your thoughts peeps...

How do I get them to listen to me without being dismissive and intimidating? what do you do if you get misunderstood/ kind of brushed off?

No one wants to be dismissed like this - 

Get Down Dancing GIF by reactionseditor

That is so true @WheresMySquishy , and I think there's been a pretty big change over the last few generations with how much we know and speak about mental health. There's still a long way to go but I do think it's amazing how much more we're able to speak about mental health - it must feel so frustrating when your parents don't really seem to get what is going on for you Smiley Sad And yes, so important to recognise that people's experiences can be so different 

Haha that gif though @Hannah-RO Smiley Tongue! Yup, I'm a kid at heart so the zoo is always exciting Smiley Very Happy @Janine-RO Woah, that's amazing she cooked that! And the coffee! Your own private barista and chef Smiley Tongue

Hey, I made it! Be right back, just catching up. Smiley Tongue

Hahahaha @Hannah-RO  you actually made me laugh out loud with that GIF! That is totally something I would do Cat LOL

I think this next question is such an important one, and I think it actually follows on from what you were saying, @WheresMySquishy 

I think a lot of parents can sometimes have a gut reaction to be dismissive about their kids talking about mental health issues- this might be because they don’t know a lot about mental health, or feel like it’s an attack on their parenting, or are just really uncomfortable with the situation and so minimise what you’re saying.  

Some parents may also have their own experience with mental health issues in their past.

Unfortunately there’s still a lot of myths out there about mental health as well – and parents may have their own baggage about this stuff. There’s also a lot of cultural differences that may also shape how parents view mental health.

• You may need to practice talking in a way that’s assertive, without being aggressive – so if they’re dismissive about what you’re experiencing  (“ What do you have to complain about? You have a roof over your head, you don’t have to pay rent, you’re just having a bad day..”) it is totally okay to push back a bit- e.g. say you don’t want to be feeling like this, and it’s nothing to do with those things, but you need some help. It might also help them to see info from a site like ReachOut about what depression looks like. I really loved these infographics that our content team developed, for example:

Depr_Infographic_See_FB

signs and symptoms of depression infographic what you dont see

• It may also be a conversation that you need to have a few times- your parents may need some time to process what you’ve said, especially if it’s made them feel guilty, or ashamed, or defensive.

• If your parent is being really intimidating, a letter or email could be a better way to go. Or have a friend with you, for extra support.

Hello @Hozzles ! Delighted you could join us on this fine evening Smiley Very Happy