cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Ask A Pro Live: Study Stress

Q)How do you know when you are experiencing too much or an unhealthy amount of study stress?

A) The first thing to know when you are experiencing too much or an unhealthy amount of study stress is to be able to understand what exactly stress is. Stress is your body’s way of informing you that you are encountering a harmful situation (this may be interpreted as your instincts, a gut feeling, or even the butterflies you get when you see an ex!) - they may be real or perceived threats. 

Often when I’m experiencing an unhealthy amount of study stress I would enter an almost fight-or-flight mode. I would often get symptoms such as my heart-rate increasing, my breath becoming rapid, muscles tightening even without my knowledge (which led to many backaches and muscle aches), and cold chills or shivers. 

When I finally realise that I was experiencing an unhealthy amount of study stress was when I noticed I was feeling constantly low in energy, having sleep problems, forgetfulness, difficulty concentrating,  and lack of enjoyment in activities that I once loved. 

These are some of the symptoms you can use to identify you are experiencing too much or an unhealthy amount of study stress. 

More symptoms can come in forms such as:

• Body complaints: this is your body physically telling you that it’s not okay. Examples: frequent urination, teeth grinding/lip biting/ nails biting, fatigue/or weakness, aches and possible itching, etc...
  • Gastrointestinal complaints: when under a heavy amount of stress you may experience stomach pains, complexion changes, nausea/weakness, vomiting, acne, etc…
  • Respiratory complaints:  you may also experience a stuffy/or runny nose, earaches, sore/or a lump in your throat, temperature changes, etc...

Reference: https://www.psychologytoday.com/au/blog/media-spotlight/201704/how-much-is-too-much-stress

@Roxy879  I also studied psychology! I enjoyed it but I thought it was a lot of hard work too.

@WheresMySquishy It is hard work! But I still say completing the HSC was the most challenging two years of my life!

How do you know when you are experiencing too much or an unhealthy amount of study stress?
That's so true about the physical signs @Roxy879. I tend to get physically ill when I am experiencing burnout or stress. Sometimes, I get nauseated and I used to also grind my teeth. I would also get a dry throat, which led to coughing fits in exams. When I get stressed, my muscles also tense up get sore. I've found that stress can also flare up existing health issues. Learning to recognise the physical signs can be a great first step in managing anxiety and stress.
Other signs of stress could include thinking about studying excessively and not being able to do the things that you love, self-care or meeting your needs.

Our bodies are so complex aren't they! I think you have listed some really important signs when stress starts to impact how we are coping with study. It's really interesting that you mentioned all the different body systems that stress targets- having an understanding of our bodies and hearing the signs is so important!

Sleep problems is one we hear a lot and can be a sign that something is not right! I'd be interested to know: When was the first time you started to become aware of your signs of study stress? Can you remember a time when you started to listen to your body and be aware that you may be experiencing stress?

"Learning to recognise the physical signs can be a great first step in managing anxiety and stress.
Other signs of stress could include thinking about studying excessively and not being able to do the things that you love, self-care or meeting your needs." - 
Could not agree more @WheresMySquishy! Not making time for my self care is a big sign for me that study is starting to eat into other parts of my world Heart

self love GIF by Chibird

So true @Roxy879, I would agree that the HSC is a big point of stress for so many people! All my love to those reading who are prepping for the HSC! We hope this chat will help you with you study too

@WheresMySquishy Thank you for that great response! I totally agree!

When was the first time you started to become aware of the your signs of study stress? Can you remember a time when you started to listen to your body and be aware that you may be experiencing stress?

@Jess1-RO  The first time I experience stress was in highschool in Year 10, this was when the HSC was becoming more prevalent and important. I have never encounter study stress before and so for a very long time I never fully understood what my body was telling me. It wasn't until I completed the HSC and left highschool and entered Uni did I fully come to terms to what my body was trying to tell me. I started listening to my body last year and it has made me incredibly aware  and has assist me in getting through my stressful workload!

hey guys super sorry im late, just got back from a 5 hour round trip 😬😬

@Bre-RO @Jess1-RO @WheresMySquishy @xXLexi_Lou122Xx 

hello @Roxy879  its nice to meet you and thanks for sharing so much so far Smiley Happy

**NEVER be afraid to ask for help because you're WORTH it!**

When was the first time you started to become aware of the your signs of study stress? Can you remember a time when you started to listen to your body and be aware that you may be experiencing stress?
Whenever I went to the doctors about a physical health complaint, they would say that if I kept my stress levels in check the problems would be unlikely to reoccur. I learned that stress affects the immune system and can trigger changes in the body.

One time that sticks out to me was when I started a full-time unpaid internship. Pretty much as soon as I started, I experienced a lot of problems from the management and the workload and travelling demands that they placed on me were outrageous and different to what I had initially been told about the position. I spent ages trying to sort out the issues, but I felt like the staff were treating me unfairly and making out like I was the one with the problem. I was sick all night before I had to come in on one of the days, which made me realise how much the position was taking a toll on me, so I decided to quit. I felt so much better afterwards and haven't regretted quitting.