cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Ask A Pro Live: Study Stress

@Jess1-RO  @Roxy879  @ecla34  I agree that studying is something that varies for each person! Some people need to study for longer or shorter periods than other people.

A little bit of stress is good, but burnout can really take a toll and might lead to consequences, such as poor decision making. It's hard to juggle study with other responsibilities, such as work and caring for family members.

How can someone manage the stress of studying for future assessments when they failed previous ones? What advice would you have for someone who is concerned about failure?

In this scenario it can be helpful to figure out what might have gone a bit wrong the last time. Did you not understand the task? Did you not leave yourself enough time? Was the study method you used not right for you? (it can take some experimenting!) If possible it might be helpful to talk to your teacher/tutor and be honest about your concerns, see if they have any constructive criticism or advice for the next assessment Smiley Happy 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We had a live chat on Accessing Mental Health Support Online! Smiley Very Happy Check it out here! Heart

@WheresMySquishy ooo good point about balancing study stress with other stressors!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We had a live chat on Accessing Mental Health Support Online! Smiley Very Happy Check it out here! Heart

@Jess1-RO  Another great question!

Q) How can someone manage the stress of studying for future assessments when they failed previous ones? What advice would you have for someone who is concerned about failure?

A)

That’s a difficult question because even I still struggle with this. The first thing I was taught when I failed previous assessments is self-reflection. Reflecting on yourself may involve questioning yourself, asking ‘what went wrong?’ or ‘why did I fail?’. Make a list, so you can divide this list into ‘wrong choices’ and ‘right choices’. Use this list to improve yourself for future assessments.

It’s okay to be sad about failing assessments

When I was in Highschool I did drama for the majority of my high school career, being on stage in front of a crowd is stressful. And I found when I was preparing for future assessments or even before I did any exams, the breathing techniques I was taught in drama helped me so much. 

Being able to psych yourself up and being able to avoid procrastinating will help you manage the stress of failing future assessments.

Advice I would give is that it's okay to be scared, but it's what you do with that fear that matters. You can either let it consume you or you can swallow the fear itself. Failing and not achieving a mark you want is okay! I know this first hand, I failed the HSC, and I'm not saying this to be modest. I was depressed when I failed and I was stress and worried about what I was going to do for University. But there are always other alternative pathways to get what you want, you may have to chuck in extra work, but that's life! 

The best thing you can do is doing your best! But even your best may not be everything! But that's okay! All you can ask of yourself is to try and to perform your best! 

Reflect on yourself, figure out what you can do better in the future is my best advice I can give you!

How can someone manage the stress of studying for future assessments when they failed previous ones? What advice would you have for someone who is concerned about failure?

I'm going to answer this one too, because this is something that passes my mind when I study!

I think the big thing is remembering that a mark does not define your worth, your skill, your strengths, or what you do in the future! As someone who didn't finish school, and was too stressed to sit my HSC, I carried this stress with me for a while. Then I came to a point that I realised, that it does not define me or my trajectory! 

My advice would be that failing an assessment does not define you, or reflect your worth or skill Heart It is okay to fail- I sure do! We are human and with the right support, we can takes steps forward! 

@Roxy879 thank you so much for sharing those reflections and experiences with us! It's such an important reminder that there are ways and ways of getting to where you're meant to be, a failed assessment now doesn't mean it's the end! Heart

I think the main thing is about having a growth mindset rather than a fixed mindset. Studies have suggested that individuals with a growth mindset, where they believe that their character, creativity, learning and intelligence can grow over time, may put in extra effort, leading to greater achievement. There are some really great videos explaining this on YouTube.

Sometimes, it comes down to changing your thoughts about your studying habits. We can be really hard on ourselves and think that there's no point in trying again if we've failed in the past. But we don't really know how we will do until after we try again. Just because you've failed previous assignments, doesn't mean that you're a failure in everything.

I agree with @ecla34 that talking to a teacher or tutor can be really helpful!

@Jess1-RO that's putting it perfectly :heat: Heart

This is so powerful @Roxy879 Heart : "The best thing you can do is doing your best! But even your best may not be everything! But that's okay! All you can ask of yourself is to try and to perform your best!" 

Hearing your story and what you have learnt from your study experience is so inspirational Heart

@Jess1-RO  Thank you so much for sharing that! That took a lot of bravery and courage and love that response! Heart