cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1st time job feminest

Im starting my first ever full job as an eltrical apprentice on monday and im a girl. Im really nervous because im pretty certain im going to be the only girl in this group of first years. has anyone else had a similar experiance and has any advice for me? 

Re: 1st time job feminest

Hey @Maz89. I think that's great you have an apprenticeship! Good on you.

I haven't had any experience with this specific topic, but I can say that you should be very proud of yourself. 

Also, being a girl is definitely not a bad thing and if anything, it can make you stand out from the crowd. 

I know it can be easier said than done, but I think it is a great opportunity to really own who you are and give it everything you've got.

The ratio of women in trades are increasing which I think is great. I think many customers find females more reliable and thourough as trade workers as well (from what i've heard). Smiley Tongue

Try and be as confident as possible. You have earnt your right to be there and just do your best!

Let us know how it goes. Smiley Happy

Heya @Maz89 - welcome to RO! Smiley Happy

I can't really speak from personal experience either but I just wanted to say that I think it's so awesome you're pursuing your passion despite the barriers you might come up against - it shows that you're a really strong and resilient person. It's totally normal to be nervous about starting something as significant as an apprenticeship, let alone when you're the only girl in the class! Are there any strategies you've used in the past to deal with anxious feelings?

Also I thought I'd mention that the NSW government have some cool resources about Girls in Trades here if you're interested Smiley Happy

Does anyone else have some personal experience with this that they'd be comfortable sharing? I imagine girls in fields like IT or engineering might face similar barriers.

I was one of two girls in my high school woodwork class, which spanned over two years.

First year, our teacher was amazing. First class he told all the boys that bullying and sexism would not be tolerated, they were to treat us respectfully or he would get the principal involved. He pulled me and the other girl aside and told us if we had ANY trouble, not to be afraid to tell him, as again, it would not be tolerated. Through out the year we had zero issues. 

Second year, different teacher. He didn't do anything like that. My friend and I were clled bitches, sluts, lesbians (ironically, I hadn't come out as pansexual but it still makes me laugh that it was an insult) and he would ignore it, or just tell them to be quiet. We would have our tools taken, be pushed aside, all that. It was... frustrating. We both felt too nervous to talk to him about it. There were a few boys in the class who were our friends but they didn't really stick up for us. 

Basically.... find a person like the first. Tell them that you're nervous. They'll probably help you out. My high school was a pretty shitty places though, and the boys who did the bullying were basically the dickheads of the school. I think you'll be fine!!! Congrats on the apprenticeship!!

Highlighted

Congrats on the apprenticeship @Maz89! I think it's totally normal for you to feel a bit nervous about it all. I can't say that I have any experience with this sort of thing. The only advice I can give is to be assertive and try to enjoy yourself. :-) 

I'll share a strategy that I use in case it would interest you. But no pressure if it doesn't sound like it would work for you! :-) Something I do when I am nervous is challenge my negative/unhelpful thoughts (such as 'I am going to look really nervous during my speech today') by answering the following questions:

What evidence is there for and against the thought?

Is there anything you're overlooking?

Is there a double standard involved? (Would you think the same thing if it were someone else in the same situation?)

If you weren't stressed/anxious/ depressed, would you still be thinking this thought?

And finally, what is a more helpful thought? (E.g. I may be nervous today, but everyone else will be focused on themelves and not whether I am nervous or not).

Good luck for Monday! I'd love to hear how it goes!

Hi @Maz89 and congratulations on getting the job! That's seems really exciting! I can't say I've had a similar experience, but I know what it's like to be scared/nervous. Realistically, there could be some people in the class who aren't that nice, or with whom you don't get along, but there's also bound to be some who are friendly, and you will get along with. We tend to gravitate towards people who are similar to us, so you'll likely naturally find yourself among people you can work with.

One important thing I try to remember when I'm starting a new job or entering a new situation is that I deserve to be there, regardless of how anyone else perceives me. And the same is true for you and this job. You have just as much right as the males to be there.

Congratulations again, and please let us know how you go on Monday! Good luck!  

// Spiral outward, keep going. //