cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2016 and some stuff for Parents!

Hey everyone, 

You might have been wondering what @Sophie-RO has been off doing since i started here on the Forums. 

Well now I can tell you a bit more!  

We think it's important for Mums, Dads and other people who are looking out for young people to be more aware of what young people actually need to be well, to deal with Mental Illness and how to support a young person to recover.

So.... 

We're creating a space for Parents

It will include a brand new forum (just for parents) and a bunch of stuff like the normal ReachOut site but made specifically to help Parents understand, to support them and to give them the best information out there.

Don't worry though, this forum will stay pretty much the same and there will still definitely be an age limit, no parents allowed! 

And because we're a chatty bunch here on the forums, I thought i might give you a few questions to answer:

What do you all think about this new Parents thing? 

What's one thing that parents need to understand better about mental health and young people? 

What sort of information do you think they need the most? 

What's do you reckon is the best way to support a parent? 

Re: 2016 and some stuff for Parents!

Tbh im torn about this. I think it's good to help parents, but I'm scared how it would change RO. Do the parents have access to our forums? I would hate it if my mum or dad joined and figured out who I was. I know it's important to support parents and show how they could support a child going through issues but I like many want to keep my parents out of my recovery.

What's one thing that parents need to understand better about mental health and young people?

i think that parents need to understand that they can't 'fix' us. We need to make our own journey. Be supportive but don't force your child to do something they don't want to do.

I think they need to understand what mental health is and not be judgemental or forceful. They should also know what to do in a crisis situation and how best to help without freaking out.
In regards to my own family I needed them to know that recovery was something I needed to learn for myself and something I had to want not something they could hold over me.

Help them to understand their childs condition and how best to help in certain situations. They may need help to accept they may not necessary be able make their child get better. They may need help with their own mental health as they care for their child.

I hope these answers are ok Smiley Happy
===========================
Trying to make my misery
just a piece of my history
A little less victim a little more victory
-Icon for Hire

@redhead

Amazing and heaps thoughtful answers as always! 

I want to say a few things particularly about worrying about the impact on these forums, which is more than fair enough by the way.

The first thing I would say is that the people who will build the Parents forum (including Sophie) think it's really important to keep this space a young people only space and as annonymous as it is already, like literally the biggest priority they have!

If people on this forum want to talk to parents on the parents forum, it will always be the young people's choice to go over there and talk, the Parent's won't be asked over here. 

ReachOut is and always will be for young people, we do stuff like ReachOut Schools and ReachOut Professionals and (one day) ReachOut Parents because we want them to listen to and understand young people's needs better. So we are heaps keen to make sure we don't mess with what's working already. 

We'll have a few bigger chats and give you all way more information about how we will keep this space safe in the lead up to the forum launch (which is still ages away). There are a bunch of people making sure this will be the case - a couple of them sit next to me! 

P.s 

I have fed all this back to the Parent's team and will keep doing so Smiley Happy 

Awesome! Great initiative! 

Early warning signs. How to foster a supportive environment without being overbearing and in your face. It is not just a phase. No matter how hard they try, they can't force you to enter recovery, it has to be a personal choice. It is a confusing time for us.

Early warning signs, where to get help, what to do in crisis situation, how to take care of themselves, where they can get help from.

What do you reckon is the best way to support a parent? 

Letting them know that they are not alone, ways to cope with the childs behaviour / setting boundaries for said behaviour. How they can support their child and pretty much everything that @redhead has said.

My entire life can be described in one sentence: It didn't go as planned and that's okay. ツ

Hey @Ben-RO im gonna have to say my first reaction was with @redhead on this one i wouldnt want my parent coming across me. 

Btw im answering these questions thinking of how this thing could help my mum and how it can help other parents as two seperate categories (my mum isnt like other parents). 

Even though "wtf" was my first reaction it was probably because i thought that the "parents" would be able to reply to our threads etc. (please make sure that doesnt happen) 

But like i think its a good idea coz god knows how much shit i put my mum through with my mh and hospital admissions. And I know just thinking about my mum that if she had a place where she could talk to other parents whom have gone through similiar things it would help. 

The thing is with my fam is mum has a mental illness as well and my brother has the same mh issues (ie they both have bipolar) but my bro can get quite aggressive at times. I live in a house with three people including myself and mum cares for both of us and herself-regarding mh stuff. so if i think about what this could do for my mother for example it would actually be so good.

For "parents" in general stigma and all that. Although for my mum that hasnt been an issue. I think another thing parents need to understand is the importance of unconditional love and support. Something that comes across as easy but i know seeing my friends with mh issues and their rents can be difficult when you dont know how to support your child. 

anyone who is still reading this is probably thinking i love my mum (which i do) but all of us know that as a teenager no matter how much you love your parents you hate them in this weird way as well (blame it on puberty). 

I think parents need a place to vent to other parents BUT also in a way that gives them resources. For example if Jane's mum was venting abut the effetcs of Janes self harm there would be a place for her Jane mum to be heard BUT resources on how to help. 

Also just a thought if this parents ro was to have information of how to help put some stuff in on "what not to do" coz thats just important. 

Probably someone to listen to them. Someone to tell them its not their fault. Soemoene to give advice on how to support their child. Someone literally tell them that theyre child wont get better over night. Someone to tell them their not alone. And resources for them to help mainatin their mh. Oh yeah and resources on how to support their mentally ill childs siblings if necessary (i know that would help if my mum knew the impact of my brothers mental health).

can I just finish off by saying that 1. sorry this is long 2. my suggestions are coming from a very different standpoint in my situation my mum can relate to what im going through bu she herself has mh problems. which is why i think thats another important factor in my why i said that they need a place to vent. 

Highlighted

@Ben-RO

Sounds cool! expansion is good

Understand practical ways to apply the information. Theres a lot of information out there but less cool ways to apply it that aren't just 'generic'. I personally dont like a lot of generic advice. For example when people are getting bullied a lot of people say 'tell the teacher'. Which im sure for many cases is the best option. But for other people this would just further marginalise them from their peers. So an array of cool tips for different people in different situations i think would be helpful Smiley Happy

I think some evidence could be helpful. For example the understanding of depression or stress today is a lot different to when they were growing up. Maybe information that communicates that these issues are okay to talk about and some tips about how they can support their children in a supportive and non-invasive way.

What's do you reckon is the best way to support a parent

They are usually fairly busy, so I think that Videos could be a good way to engage. I know I cant get my mum to sit down for more than a few minutes to read something. But thats just one example.

P.S. I have an exam in 2 days - sorry if any of my sentences dont make much sense Smiley Tongue 

Could be ok.

That it's pretty unhelpful to try to push their kid into talking to them about it if they don't want to. 

Info about ways to be supportive without trying to control everything, suggestions on how to talk about the stuff (hint, asking repeatedly whether it's their fault, or when did it start, or what caused it, or physically getting up in their face when they don't want to talk about stuff... not helpful).

Just giving them a place to share stuff and show them it's not just them and their kid, and the info to know that it's not a super abnormal thing or anything 'crazy'. 

____________________#iftoastershadfeelings____________________