cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT)

Hey everyone, I learnt a lot of interesting things when I studied psychology and wanted to share something we learnt known as Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT). ACT is mostly based around mindfulness practice and living your life according to your values. I find its a really good way to understanding anxiety and the cycle of how anxiety about anxiety builds and leads to more anxiety. In ACT, there is a concept called the struggle switch. The idea is that when people struggle with there anxiety they may think  "why won't this go away", "I hate this anxiety". For a lot of people, myself included, this is a little familiar and this is the struggle switch turned on. When the switch is turned off, it's more like we're acknowledging and accepting the presence of anxiety but putting our investment into areas that lineup with our values. I put a little video below that explains it much better than I can and I think it can be really helpful for y'all Smiley Happy.      

Highlighted

Re: Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT)

Hi @James99 - thank you for sharing such a useful and interesting approach to understanding and dealing with anxiety. That video is such a good breakdown of the concept and really helped me adjust my approach and mindset to anxiety!
Highlighted

No worries @Wolfie_ glad I could help Smiley Happy 

Highlighted

Thanks for sharing @James99 very interesting take on it!

Highlighted

@James99 Thank you for sharing this video! Everything that was mentioned in the video was something I've experienced constantly and I use to always ask myself "why am I feeling like this" "why can't this go away" Smiley Sad After I realised that the more I try to "bury" these feelings the more I struggled with it so I took up some mindfulness practices. Like the video mentioned it's impossible to live anxiety-free but it's possible to not let it overrun you and that's what I've been feeling Smiley Very Happy It's also nice to know that i'm not the only one that experiences this!

Highlighted

So relatable, right. Glad to hear that this helped Smiley Happy

Highlighted

Thanks heaps for sharing this @James99!! My psych has recently started trying some ACT interventions with me so was very interesting to watch! If you have any other cool clips you've come across during your psych studies I'm sure we'd all love to see them! 

Also, you explained it perfectly yourself! Thanks again for sharing - was very valuable 😊